electrical leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electrical leak

The knowledge on this site is incredible....and invaluable!

I'd like to get confirmation on my findings before I replace my regualtor. My '82 GS650L shows a current of about 300 microamps in series with the battery with everything off. Battery goes dead in about 2 weeks. By unplugging the regulator from the system, the current reading goes to zero. Or by removing the ground from the regulator I get a zero reading. I ohmed out the regulator and got my high/low readings on all the diodes, with open readings to ground strap from all pins, so it looks like it checks fine.

My next step is to replace the regulator, unless someone out there has a few more ideas I can try. Thanks Forum readers!

Originally posted by mwarning View Post
    The knowledge on this site is incredible....and invaluable!

I'd like to get confirmation on my findings before I replace my regualtor. My '82 GS650L shows a current of about 300 microamps in series with the battery with everything off. Battery goes dead in about 2 weeks. By unplugging the regulator from the system, the current reading goes to zero. Or by removing the ground from the regulator I get a zero reading. I ohmed out the regulator and got my high/low readings on all the diodes, with open readings to ground strap from all pins, so it looks like it checks fine.

My next step is to replace the regulator, unless someone out there has a few more ideas I can try. Thanks Forum readers!

300 microamps would take 5 years to discharge your battery. It's probably pretty much normal for the regulator to leak a tiny bit like that in either its trigger circuit or the reversebiased diodes. It is not a problem.

The battery is probably not being charged correctly.
    It could be the stator, Rectifier-regulator, or just bad connections.
    Go through all of the stator papers to find the problem.

Comment

Welcome to the GS nuthouse! Charging problems are common on these bikes due to poor maintenance/worn/dirty components over the years. BassCliff will be along to say hi and give you his mega welcome too, but I'll beat him to the punch here. This is his page of accumulated wisdom from the collective and you should be able to find nearly all the information you'll ever need on your GS bike.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
        300 microamps would take 5 years to discharge your battery. It's probably pretty much normal for the regulator to leak a tiny bit like that in either its trigger circuit or the reversebiased diodes. It is not a problem.

The battery is probably not being charged correctly.
        It could be the stator, Rectifier-regulator, or just bad connections.
        Go through all of the stator papers to find the problem.
        He probably meant milliamps- unless he has real fancy stuff to measure with. So 14 AH battery would die in maybe 3 days! If he has original R/R, it might be time, but yes, he should check charging system out- I'm still using my original R/R but I replaced my stator last year.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mwarning,

You should go through The Stator Papers and the supporting documentation on my website (in the electrical section). It's all in the links below.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            He probably meant milliamps- unless he has real fancy stuff to measure with. So 14 AH battery would die in maybe 3 days! If he has original R/R, it might be time, but yes, he should check charging system out- I'm still using my original R/R but I replaced my stator last year.
            Thats a point I hadn't considered; if he really did mean 300 milliamps that would be way to much leakage.

OTOH, Even my not too fancy harbor freight $2.99 multimeter has a DC current range down to 200 micro-amps, so barring more info I would assume he did measure it correctly.

Comment

First off thanks to all those that take the time to reply to all the questions that get thrown out on this site! We are all in desparate need of guidance and will follow any suspicion you experts out there may have--

I rebuilt my stator 2 years ago following the stator papers, and checking it last night it was happily putting out 73 volts on all 3 coils. However, the voltage on my battery posts are the same (13.2v) whether I am at idle or 4000 rpm. I have a couple other checks to make tonite and will report back tomorrow. Somewhere in there my charging system is just NOT working....

Comment

Check continuity on all wiring associated with your charging system including the connections in the fuse block, look for shorts that way. If voltage at the batt is always a constant and does not rise with increased throttle and you say stator is newer and putting out good acv, then yes, you RR is probably not good assuming it is the original.

Comment

I think I will go ahead and replace the regulator. I'll report findings after the swap out.

Thanks for the guidance!

Comment

Regulator replaced

ALL FIXED! I replaced the Regulator with a new one and here's what I found:

---The 50 microamps of current leak I had from the battery dropped to zero. I know I originally reported about 300, but through screwing around with connections and other things it was reduced to 50, where it stayed until the Reg was replaced.

---Voltage at my battery is now 13.2 at idle, and 14.2 anywhere from 1500rpm on up.

Life is again good. Thanks for all the help out there!

Comment

Working...
                    X