Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 and 3 will not fire on my 1982 gs550l...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 and 3 will not fire on my 1982 gs550l...

No matter what I do I cant get spark out of 2 and 3. I have two 1982 Gs 550l, both not running. So the one Im working on iv swapped everything from the signal generator, ignitor, coils and even wiring harness and yet I still have nothing. The right side coil is over heating and Im getting positive current running threw the ignitor ground. And btw both of my bikes have less then 3,500 miles on them so I dont see how to many parts could be bad. I need this bike running asap yet no one can help find out what my problem is. Someone please!
    Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Guest; 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM.

Do you have voltage at both coils? What is that voltage?

What are your coil primary resistances - should be on the order of 3 ohms? Secondary (with/without boots - maybe 15k without and 25-40k with)?

Your right coil is probably heating up because you're leaving your ignition on too long without the bike running.

Comment

BTW, have you tried swapping the coil leads and seeing if spark returns to 2/3 and disappears from 1/4?

Comment

I have not tried doing that but I just finished testing the coils and they seemed fine. Heres what I got.

Primary: 4.4 ohms on both

Secondary (without caps):
        1 & 4: 17.71 ohms
        2 & 3: 17.78 ohms

Caps:
        1 & 4: 5.1 ohms
        2 & 3: 5.5 ohms

Making secondary when added:
        1 & 4: 22.81 ohms
        2 & 3: 23.28 ohms

Comment

OK, swap the coil leads then and see if the no-spark moves to 1 & 4 (it should).

Comment

Ok so I just said screw it and replaced the plug wires and cleaned up the caps and threw everything back together. Ive been working on this thing for months and just finished my carbs yesterday hoping its help. Well after I did the wires they started sparking so I slapped the carbs on and got some gas. I turned it over and she started 1st try. Thank you for your help!!!

Comment

hey did you get it runing ok? cuz i have same prob

Comment

Working...
              X