Electrical Gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Gremlins

Here is the scoop. I have been trying to get my bike started after cleaning up the wiring harness and am having a couple issues.

#1. Starter button working intermittently. I will hit the button, and nothing happens. I went to work today, went into the garage to start working, hit the button and it attempted to start. I played with it for awhile then realized I was using the wrong type of coil relay. After being gone on a ten minute trip to NAPA I plugged in the new relay and got nothing.

#2. Left turn signal blowing fourth fuse, 15A. Only the left is doing this though, not the right. I will flip it to the left, there is a split second delay, then the fuse blows.

If the 15 amp fuse is blowing, you are losing EVERYTHING, as that's the MAIN fuse.
    But then, that depends on which end you are counting as #1. Most of us call the fuse that is away from the ACC terminals #1.
    If that is the case, you would be blowing #2, which is, indeed, the fuse that powers the signals, brake light and horn.

Look for shorted wires in your turn signals or the wires to them (after the handlebar switch).

Use a test light on the little yellow/green wire at the starter solenoid to see if you are getting power when you press the starter button. Most-likely culprit there is dirty contacts in either the kill switch or the starter button.

Last edited by Steve; 06-20-2011, 08:52 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have checked all the signal wires. I just stripped the whole harness down and checked their length, and the after harness parts are clean as well, as I just had all four signals off the bike and relocated them. I will take apart the left switch and see what is going on. Does it ground to the handlebars?

Comment

Originally posted by afholderman View Post
        Does it ground to the handlebars?
        Let's just say "It's not supposed to".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X