stupid battery tender!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stupid battery tender!!

So I got my GS a few months ago, with no battery. Got a average one with acid that must be added. Did the whole fill , rest, charge thing. Decided to tear the bike down for a total clean up/resto/mod. Put battery on a 1 amp trickle maintainer. Has been on for about a month.
    I go to turn on my big garage fan for some air movement and my battery on the shelf over there is half full. It bubbled? boiled? over! It all came out the overflow tube. I have not put a tester on it to see what kind of charge it may or may not have.
    QUESTION** Should I add more acid to top it off and re charge or add distilled water to top off and recharge? It is exactly half full (actually empty )GRRR!!!
    Advice? And dont say dump the battery and buy a nice sealed gel one.But I know that wont stop you . ha ha

I would use water...
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
      So I got my GS a few months ago, with no battery. Got a average one with acid that must be added. Did the whole fill , rest, charge thing. Decided to tear the bike down for a total clean up/resto/mod. Put battery on a 1 amp trickle maintainer. Has been on for about a month.
      I go to turn on my big garage fan for some air movement and my battery on the shelf over there is half full. It bubbled? boiled? over! It all came out the overflow tube. I have not put a tester on it to see what kind of charge it may or may not have.
      QUESTION** Should I add more acid to top it off and re charge or add distilled water to top off and recharge? It is exactly half full (actually empty )GRRR!!!
      Advice? And dont say dump the battery and buy a nice sealed gel one.But I know that wont stop you . ha ha
      Add distilled water. Then, when that battery quits on you, buy a nice AGM, and it'll never boil over.

Comment

NEVER add acid. Acid does not boil or evaporate. Only the water boils.
        All of the acid you put in the battery originally is still there.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
          Add distilled water. Then, when that battery quits on you, buy a nice AGM, and it'll never boil over.
          Hey Dan , thanks for promptly proving my point about the sealed battery suggestion...lol

Comment

Water it is! thanks as always fellas.

Comment

A "Battery Tender" brand charger boiled a battery? 1 Amp is hardly enough to heat a battery to the point of failing, unless the battery is screwed. At any rate I am a Store Manager of a Batteries Plus, we have 2 year free replacement "X2" Power AGM's made here in the US. I have one in EVERYTHING I own, and not sure how to go about it. But I'd like to hook up fellow GS owners if I can. PM me for details and questions.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
                Water it is! thanks as always fellas.

Make sure it's distilled water as I've heard about bad things if you try to use regular tap water.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Now that the immediate question has been answered, I strongly suggest you address the battery "tender". What are you using? Brand and model, please. A true battery tender is regulated and is designed to stop charging when the battery is fully charged. AFAIK, the only way to boil a battery is to continue charging after it is fully charged, which means the regulator is not functioning correctly (or the battery is unable to hold a full charge). Unless you correct this issue, you will continue to have this issue (of boiling the battery) re-occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Datafive0 View Post
                    A "Battery Tender" brand charger boiled a battery? 1 Amp is hardly enough to heat a battery to the point of failing, unless the battery is screwed. At any rate I am a Store Manager of a Batteries Plus, we have 2 year free replacement "X2" Power AGM's made here in the US. I have one in EVERYTHING I own, and not sure how to go about it. But I'd like to hook up fellow GS owners if I can. PM me for details and questions.
                    Sounds like a great deal; do you have a link and do we just PM you?

Last edited by posplayr; 06-23-2011, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Oh Shizz!! this one might be my fault. This is the charger, note I said charger(like it says ont the label, not maintainer). This is only 1-1/2 x 3 inches long, and had the mounting holes like you see on these tiny maintenance chargers. I guess four weeks on this thing is too much? I never tested the batteries charge the whole time, just let it sit there. I am just gonna sh*t can this thing . I dont know why I did not just use my big charger on automatic cycle anyways. This small charger is old. I cannot trust it again.
                      Getting distilled H2o, will see if it takes full charge. Never meant to mislead that this was a "battery tender" brand. some old POS! my bad. Hong Kong, geez how old is this thing, ha ha .
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Other companies make products that stop charging when the battery is fully charged. They are referred to generically as 'battery tenders". There is a company which has a lock on the name, but my Schumacher performs the same function. Your charger does not. It will continue to charge as long as you have it plugged in. That is why your battery boiled. You need a tender.
                        You can get them at hardware stores, Walmart, Harbor Freight, etc.

Edit: corrected name of tender. Thanks Steve.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Schumacher makes a decent one that is available at Wal-Mart for about $20.

If you insist on paying more, you can get the same item, but with the Die Hard brand on it at Sears (or K-Mart) for about $30.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X