main fuse blows when powered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

main fuse blows when powered

when the key is turned to the start position the main power fuse blows in less than 5 seconds. just started doing this for no apparent reason. is this a common problem or will i need one of those dealer only, stick it to me, bend over repairs? i can jump the silonoid and the starter spins but no start, no power. any ideas?

Originally posted by samhegler View Post
    when the key is turned to the start position the main power fuse blows in less than 5 seconds. just started doing this for no apparent reason. is this a common problem or will i need one of those dealer only, stick it to me, bend over repairs? i can jump the silonoid and the starter spins but no start, no power. any ideas?
    I had a project bike that I bought with that exact problem. In the case of my bike, either the stator or the R/R went bad and caused the main fuse to blow. If I unplugged the stator from the R/R, the bike would start and run fine (with no blown fuse) but, of course, it was running off battery power only. I never did get to the bike before selling it (recently), so I don't know which of the two parts was the troublemaker.

Try unplugging the three stator wires and see what happens. If the fuse stops blowing, it's just a matter of testing each component individually to see which one needs replacing.

Good luck, whatever it turns out to be!

Regards,

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. samhegler,

Great story in your other thread. I'm happy you are making positive changes in your life. Doing the right thing(s) may not get you "ahead", but it makes your heart feel good.

As for your bike, don't forget the simple stuff. Take off the tank, seat, side covers, etc, and give the wiring harness a good inspection. Check and clean all the connections, look for worn, melted, or bare wiring that may be shorting to a frame ground. I think you'll find a wiring diagram on my little website. Mr. Planecrazy had a good suggestion to start with. Keep us informed.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
        I had a project bike that I bought with that exact problem. In the case of my bike, either the stator or the R/R went bad and caused the main fuse to blow. If I unplugged the stator from the R/R, the bike would start and run fine (with no blown fuse) but, of course, it was running off battery power only. I never did get to the bike before selling it (recently), so I don't know which of the two parts was the troublemaker.

Try unplugging the three stator wires and see what happens. If the fuse stops blowing, it's just a matter of testing each component individually to see which one needs replacing.

Good luck, whatever it turns out to be!

Regards,
        Same scenario for me. Two stator wires corroded and crossed eachother. Replaced them and set them aside from eachother and no more blown fuse.

Comment

Working...
        X