Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed My Coils and My Dyna S?

Hi Folks

This is my first post on a new account, it seems the old one imploded! Anyway, a big Hello. I have a 1976-77 GS750 with a GS1000 motor fitted, and it's been great for ages.

I took her to the TT last month which was excellent, the bike went great apart from blowing 2 front lamp bulbs in 200 miles, and one day had a bit of a misfire which then cleared, odd?

Yesterday, another bulb blew, then within 1 mile I had lost 2 cylinders, then it stopped completely. The main was fuse also blown. I fitted a new fuse, but still No-Go, she spins over but no sparks.

After more tests I decided to replace the Dyna pickups with a known points set-up to see if the Dyna unit had failed, and still no sparks.

In desperation I then ran direct wires, and flashed the coil connections, still No sparts at the plugs!

Is it possible that the regulator has failed and I have fried the ignition coils and the Dyna pickups?

Unhappy, Help!
    Chris

First, the fact that it blew all those bulbs is a strong indication that the system was overcharging (voltage > 14.5V). This would be a regulator failure.
    Second, the fuses are in place to protect the system from frying individual components. The fact that the main fuse popped indicates to me that you may have melted something in the harness itself. I would start looking at connectors for melted connectors, and key wires for shorts or opens.
    Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks for the advise, but seems I had better face up to a big spend!

The bike does vibrate a bit, and I had just put it down to old bulbs, oh well out with the multimeter next time.

Has anyone else fried ignition coils, or a Dyna pickup unit in this way? I'm a big gutted that all this lot seems dead, as well as the regulator!

Cheers
      C

Comment

Working...
      X