Bike dies when headlight turned on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike dies when headlight turned on

Hey, Im new at the motorcycle thing so bear with me...

I have a 79' GS750E. Bike runs great BUT I either need a new battery or theres something wrong with the bikes charging system. Im just not sure..

Charged battery, started beautifuly for a few days and then eventually I had to revert to the kick start (32 yr old bike and it fires on the first kick every time.. LOVE it!). Kick starts fine and runs great when im actually riding it but as soon as I come back to idle, the engine dies if the headlight is on. If I turn off the headlight it runs and idles fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You need to go through every electrical connection on the bike, clean or replace the connectors, and put them back together with dielectric grease. The stator connectors especially like to burn. Basscliff will be along soon with his welcome and a ton of necessary maintenance information to make these bikes happy again. The charging systems were poor from day one. The Stator Papers will tell you how to diagnose the charging system. It's a lot of work, but once done, they are ready for another 30 years of abuse.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

sounds like your stator isn't putting out power like it should be. You will have to refer to the "stator papers" to check the readings to be sure. This is what you want to use to check your charging system.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2011, 09:09 PM.

Comment

If it has switchable headlight, It will also have a contact in the headlight switch to bring on the 3rd phase of the alternator. These contacts can burn and fail.

sc

Comment

You are close enough for me to make a house call on a weekend.

Let me know if you want the help.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for all of the advice. Ill give it all a shot and see what I come up with. Ill post again to let yal know how I made out...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Let me know if you want the help.

From Ohio??? lol

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Shamexl,

Mr. Steve gets around a lot.

Yes, check the charging system. While you're at it, check and clean every electrical connection and ground on the entire bike including the fuse box, headlight bucket, under the tank and seat, behind the side covers, even the turn signal stalks and bulb sockets. Have a look at these links:

The Stator Papers

More On The Stator Papers

GS Charging System Health+Quick Test

Now let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Originally posted by Shamexl View Post
                  From Ohio??? lol
                  Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  Mr. Steve gets around a lot.
                  Yes, I do get around a LOT.

Currently in Glens Falls, about 100 miles north of you. Probably here most of the summer.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I live about 2 hrs south of there. Actually Im in the national guard unit that is stationed in GLens Falls so Im definately familiar with the area... THanks for the offer, and Ill keep you posted.

Comment

THank you Basscliff! I appreciate it and look forward to spending alot of time here in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Shamexl View Post
                        Hey, Im new at the motorcycle thing so bear with me...

I have a 79' GS750E. Bike runs great BUT I either need a new battery or theres something wrong with the bikes charging system. Im just not sure..

Charged battery, started beautifuly for a few days and then eventually I had to revert to the kick start (32 yr old bike and it fires on the first kick every time.. LOVE it!). Kick starts fine and runs great when im actually riding it but as soon as I come back to idle, the engine dies if the headlight is on. If I turn off the headlight it runs and idles fine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
                        Welcome to GSR.

In all your description of the symptoms you havent mentioned any voltage readings.

You will want to have a volt meter.
                        You have a 30 year old bike, you will want to have a voltmeter.
                        You have a 30 year old Suzuki GS, you need to have a volt meter.

Tell us more what you find.
                        But, yes, does sound like a charging system problem, if you put on charger and is better for a couple days.

I suspect that after a few days it is gonna die even if the headlight off. Maybe get it to go longer if dont use the starter at all, just use kickstarter.

But get a voltmeter and check out the charging system.

Last edited by Redman; 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM.
                        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                        X