Starter failing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter failing?

I am recently having intermittent difficulties with my starter. The electricals seem to be in very good shape, otherwise. Most people I've asked say the starter is pretty much done for. Does that add up? If so, what is a good recourse?
    I loathe having to pop the clutch on my bike; a bike that smooth should never be treated with such disregard for suavite.

Thanks for input!

Starters do get tired, but the only way you will know is if you pull it, open it up and take a look.

I was having some intermittent problems with mine, and decided to have a looksee.

It comes apart pretty easily. Loosen the 2 screws (they are long by the way) and remove. There is a strong magnetic force in the starter core, so tug firmly to remove the top cover or use a scew driver as a wedge to pop it off.

then remove the cover that holds the brush plate in place.

Then remove the core...again it's a pretty strong magnetic force.

Things to check are the copper wires on the brush plate, the commutator which is what the brushes seat on, and the brushes themselves.

In my case, the brushes were worn...

The commutator was pretty dirty, and there was a break in the copper wire that connects to the lead that feeds current from the solenoid.

The commutator can be cleaned up with some fine grit sand paper. You dont want to remove material as much as just make it shine...Think I was using 600-800 grit. (same with the brushes really just keep the curve as long as there is enough meat left. Don't sand them flat, just clean them up. Mine were trashed, completely pitted and cracked.) Also sprayed everything down with plastic safe electric cleaner and relubed the starter ball bearing.

I am going to try to solder the copper wire back on, but for now am using an extra starter I have that I rehabed in the fashion stated above, and wow does it spin and fire fast.

There are rebuild kits out there. and on ebay a few for less than $20 or try your luck on a used starter...

Putting the starter back together is just a matter of lining up some casting marks and cut outs.

Be careful when you take it apart and see where everything lines up... I didnt and it took me a minute (I'd upload more pics but photobucket is being a real turd and I can't get any direct links to copy for larger pics)

Nic
    Last edited by niclpnut; 06-25-2011, 11:00 PM.
    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Invaluable! I know what I am doing tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the word!

Comment

It was a faulty starter relay. This is sad, because I had only recently installed it. Fortunately, I had another new one (which I had thought I had smoked, but hung on to it). I discovered this AFTER removing, disassembling and cleaning the starter... Oh well, she cranks like it was '81.

Thanks for the walkthrough!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 46hand View Post
          It was a faulty starter relay. This is sad, because I had only recently installed it. Fortunately, I had another new one (which I had thought I had smoked, but hung on to it). I discovered this AFTER removing, disassembling and cleaning the starter... Oh well, she cranks like it was '81.

Thanks for the walkthrough!!!

Cool, glad everything is worked out!

Nic
          83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Working...
          X