Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils testing ?

Hello again.

As posted elsewhere, I have replaced my r/r which was over charging at 18 + volts at 5000rpm, New battery, Coil relay mod, cleaned up all electrical connections.

Although the bike is greatly improved, it still has a rough almost missing spot at 4.5 - to 5.5 k rpm and seems reluctant to "rev out" above 7000rpm.

Been down the carb. route to no avail previously,although I'm glad I've done my first full strip and clean !

I have been wondering if the over voltage could have damaged the coils ?

I've fitted new plugs and 5kohm caps. Everything I've done electrically has made the fault less pronounced,but it's still there.

I've just been for a 50 mile blast and noticed the hesitancy on my return.
    I decided to test the coil secondary windings :

I couldn't get a reading (with plug caps on) on 200k ohm scale or 2M ohm scale . I was getting a reading of 11 on one coil and 8 on the other on a 20M ohm scale while engine was hot . After the bike had cooled for a while I saw 25 on the 200kohm scale, which looks like 25000 ohms, on coil 1&4, but 3&4 looks open circuit on my meter. It still starts and runs on all 4, but something has to be wrong there !

I tried 3 different meters, but only 1 went high enough to read this resistance

As I've just remade the cables for the new caps,I didn't want remove them to test unless I have to.

Any advice appreciated.

sc
Working...
X