1979 GS1000SN Starter not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS1000SN Starter not working

OK,has some of you might remember, i have been putting my 79 GS1000SN back together after replacing the regulator/rectifier & stator(both items are an "Electrex" item),and also had some issues with the petcock rebuild. i don't know if i got the petcock straightened out, but with your guys help, i put it back together the way i was instructed, and had an issue with the gas nipple, and vacuum nipple to close together, so i wasn't ablr to put both hoses on because the crossed right in front of eack other. so i turned the back plate 90 degrees, to be able to get the hoses on. the petcock only flows fuel when the lever is turned to the "pri" position. it does not flow fuel on the "on", or "res" positions. i believe that it what they are supposed to do. correct me if i'm wrong.
    I went and bought a new battery, installed it, hooked up the wires, and the ignition panel lights come on for "neutral", and "oil", the headlite turns on, and if you hit the turn signal switch, the turn signals turn on, but don't blink, and look dim. so i did not charge the battery like suggested, but, when i hit the starter button to see if it will turn over a bit, i get nothing! not a sound. so i have the battery on the charger right now, charging. i figured i should have gotten something when i hit the starter button, but nothing.
    I put the stator, regulator/rectifier wires hooked up to each other, 4 wires to 4 wires. so what do you guy think? this bike has been apart for 15 years, and i'm so close to getting it going again, and i just want this project to end!! it's important! the bike will go up for sale soon has everything is straightened out. any ideas, things i need to recheck? and where to look for those areas where i need to check out? help me end my pain. Thanks to all for your help! this bike is not the cleanest, or in the best of shape, but it will be a good bike for someone to fix up and enjoy. the gas tank need some work, it has a small dent, some scratches, a couple of rust spots down at the bottom outside of the tank, and it has a vibration crack on the front fender, about an inch and a half long, right in the middle, at the very front of the fender, and it has an aftermarket "Accel" ignition system on it, so the coils, breaker plate/points are all Accel items, and the wires are Accel items has well. everything else is pretty much stock, including the exhaust system. different handlebar grips, and a "gripper" type cruise control next to the handlebar grip. it comes right off easily. i am the original owner. i purchased the bike on 4th ok July weekend in 1979. it was the only one that the dealer had, and i barely got to get it, because the owner called me and gave me till the weekend then, to come up with the rest of the money. i had been trying to sell my 1978 GS750 to get this bike. the night before the weekend(on a Friday), i get a call from a guy on the 750, and he buys it on the spot! wow, that was close. i've had the bike ever since.Thanks again! looking forward to seeing you responces.

Does it still have the clutch safety switch on the clutch lever ? Need to pull the clutch in.. Check Do you get 12 V on the small wire of the starter soloniod when the start button is pushed.

Comment

I've owned the bike for 32 years. yes, I know to, and did pull the clutch lever in hard, several times. did not check voltage at solenoid. is the solenoid under the chrome plate on top of the back of the engine, below the carbs. or somewhere else. and the clutch safety switch is in place.

Comment

Ok, taking another look, on the old stator, there were 6 wires that came off of it. 2 of those wires had a split, to make the extra 2, to make the 6 wires. I added those 2 extra wires to the 4 stator wires at the time,on the new stator, to make 6 wires,and was told here I did not need them. so I hooked the 4 wires from the new stator, to the 4 wires on the new reg./rect.. inside where the battery area is, there are 2 wires on the main wiring harness, that used to be hooked into the factory loom,that are not hooked up anymore, being told here they did not need to be hooked up anymore. the wires are a white with red stripe, and a green with white stripe. looking at my shop manual,at the wiring diagram, it shows a white w/ red stripe wire(2) coming from the starter switch, and 1 going to the emergency stop switch, and that same wire is split, and also goes to the ignition coils. The other wire coming from the starter switch is green w/white stripe, and shows going to the starter disconnect switch(wherever that is?).
        So, on the bike main wiring loom in the battery area of the bike, I have a white w/red stripe wire, and a green w/white stripe wire not hooked up. I'm thinking this could be the answer. what do the experts here think? don't want to hook something up and ruin(fry) what I have already accomplished here. I need some real solid answers on this one. I can explain more if needed, and can post pics if need be.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2011, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Geez;

I thought i would have at least a few more responces by now!
          So i charged the battery up. went back out to see what i could figure out. hit the starter button, and nothing! so, to make a long story shorter, i turned the headlite switch off for the heck of it, pull in the clutch handle, gave the starter button a push, and the moter turned over! but, with the headlite switch turned back on, it won't turn over. i don't know what's going on with that,but i did get the bike started. the only thing is that is was not hitting on all cylinders. i had the carbs rebuilt 15 yearrs ago when i took this bike apart, and they have just sat all this time, never had any fuel in them, and there is a custom made fuel "t" i had a machinist make then,between carbs 2&3, because the original factory one was leaking. and my petcock is leaking like hell when i put in in the "pri" position, but not when the bike is running in the "on" position. so it looks like i am going to go ahead and get and aftermarket petcock to replace it with. the originals are upwards of $300.00, and that is just to much!! i suppose that Z-1 is the place to go? is that agreed on, or is there a better one available somewhere else?
          Any ideas about the headlite switch having to be off when i need to start it? when i turn the headlite switch back on when the bike was running, i thought it would die, but it continued to run. any ideas on this. Thanks again. i hope some of you experienced folks will jump in here with some thoughts/answers. Thanks!!
          Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2011, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X