accel coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accel coils

my 83 gs 1100 has accel yellow coils installed by the p.o. They do produce spark, I havent finished carb issues to see how itll run. Has any one else run these? Is there any potential harm in them. It has been run with these when it was operational.

Originally posted by snicrep5 View Post
    my 83 gs 1100 has accel yellow coils installed by the p.o. They do produce spark, I havent finished carb issues to see how itll run. Has any one else run these? Is there any potential harm in them. It has been run with these when it was operational.
    asuming you got the 3 ohms ones they are good

Comment

Those are good coils; I run them on my GPz.

Comment

thanks for the reply. the wires are a little cramped (theyre fat ones) but they should do the job then.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. snicrep5,

I hope I'm not too late and you check your thread again. I've got something for you called a "mega-welcome".

Let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks for the reply. the wires are a little cramped (theyre fat ones) but they should do the job then.
            If you are using the yellow Accel wires that came in the kit, yeah, at 8.5mm they are a bit thick.
            Please explain what you mean by "cramped". The Dyna coils prefered by GS owners, when mounted, have the wires pointing down. The Accel coils mounted the same way have the wires pointing out. Is that how yours are mounted? Are the hitting the tank? If so, I would fabricate mounts so the wires point down rather than out; you don't want any tension or pressure on the wires themselves.

Comment

Two of my several GSes came with Accel coils.

I have never measured the primary resistance, but they work.

In fact, none of my bikes has ever given me reason to even measure the voltage at the terminals.

They work well enough that I just can't imagine that they could work any better.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

...and if the accel coils do have the correct mounting holes alligned, compared to the DYNA where you have to find a solution, then it must be a good choice !

Comment

I've had them in mine since '81.

They work fine no issues at all. back then you didn't have many options if you wanted to run fatter plug cables. I wanted to run Moroso 8mm solids and the tower design made it very easy.

Comment

Those are great coils! Used them on my GS550L (along with the Accel wires and a Dyna S ignition), as well as on my GS1100G. Made a nice improvement over stock!

Regards,

Comment

First, they point down and are mounted to the stock front coil mts only. So theyre hanging by the front coil mt.
                      #2 I was wondering why I didnt get the customary welcome. But I read someone elses and it pays to keep reading the info. Ive found so much. Like the Intake orings and screws available for the manifolds, and idle screws which im in need of. Ill be ordering some of those soon.

Comment

First, they point down and are mounted to the stock front coil mts only. So theyre hanging by the front coil mt.
                        #2 I was wondering why I didnt get the customary welcome. But I read someone elses and it pays to keep reading the info. Ive found so much. Like the Intake orings and screws available for the manifolds, and idle screws which im in need of. Ill be ordering some of those soon.
                        Basscliff doesn't always see every newbie right away, but don't worry ... you're unofficial "Mega-welcome" will eventually arrive, hehe!

Regards,

Comment

I heard BassCliff doesn't like anyone with the number "5" in their screen name....

Just kidding. He'll find you. In the meantime, you need to be considering fabricating a mount for the rear of the coils. Don't "leave 'em hanging" like that now that you know they are not mounted in the back.

Comment

Accel coils

Been running the yellow Accel coils on my 80 GS750E now nearly 26 years, still going strong.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Hi,

Guys, did you see the "mega-welcome" in post #5 of this thread?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X