Black box suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black box suicide

The box that attaches to outside of the battery box (1979 GS1000E) committed suicide and fried itself. I believe it to be a controller for the blinkers....
    My question is if I take the box out leaving the 2 plugs that go to the wiring harness and I figure out which wires go to the blinkers can't I just tie them together and have working blinkers?Eliminate the self canceling part of it since the box is caput.
    Has anyone done this and or know what wires to use?
    I can wrench with the best of them but I stink at electrical work.
    Be well
    Paul

The box is burnt, Cut the plug off and connect the Green w/ green-black and the red-black to black and plug it back into the harness. Also need a different handle bar control With an off detent and to hook up a flasher in series with the orange wire from the TS switch..

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      The box is burnt, Cut the plug off and connect the Green w/ green-black and the red-black to black and plug it back into the harness. Also need a different handle bar control With an off detent and to hook up a flasher in series with the orange wire from the TS switch..
      Bear with me my chemo radiated brain gets confused easily.
      There is 2 plugs coming off the fried box so I'm doing this with both plugs?
      And if it's fried I'm still using it?
      What is an off detent?
      Are you saying I can not use the stock switch on the bars?
      Do I do anything with the stock flasher?
      Dazed and confused

Comment

I actually did somewhat the same thing with mine.
        I grabbed a left hand control from an 82 GS850 and spliced the connection block from my 79 GS850 into it so I could connect to the harness.

There is a wiring diagram on Bikecliff's website that someone put together that shows wiring the system without an auto-cancel unit.

I had to really put some thought into the job, but I used existing wires so I did not have to cut the harness apart and I left it so I could re-wire in the cancelling unit if I decided to buy one.

Comment

Working...
        X