Battery/ Charging/ R/R problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery/ Charging/ R/R problem....

I replaced the R/R unit on my 82 650 last season, and since about January of this year have kept it on a battery maintainer whenever it's parked. I have had no issues whatsoever with the electrical system since replacing the R/R unit, UNTIL a few weeks ago I got the bike out to ride to work and it acted as though the battery was dead. I left it off the maintainer and drove to work. That night I put it on the maintainer for a couple of hours and it got enough charge to start, but after killing it, it was too weak to crank again. It has sat off the maintainer for a couple of weeks now, and I finally got a chance to mess with it tonight. I tried charging it with the maintainer (the only charger I have) but after a couple of hours it was still as dead as when I had plugged it in. So I jumped it off the car, and had no problems firing her up. I ran her for a couple of minutes and then took her for a short ride, maybe 5 miles or so, averaging 40 MPH and maybe 4k RPM. I figured that should be enough to put a charge on the battery, but after I returned home and killed it, there was absolutely no juice again! I don't know what the problem is, but I hope its not the R/R unit gone bad again, because I can not afford to replace it right now. I used an updated OEM unit when I replaced it last summer, but I have heard a lot of guys talk about using after market units for these bikes. Does this sound like a R/R problem, or maybe a stator? Or perhaps a battery issue? The battery isn't the highest quality (I got it at Autozone) and its a little over a year old... Please someone help, I don't want to miss any more of the riding season! Thanks!

Hi,

What are your results from The Stator Papers tests? There are more testing and troubleshooting procedures on my website in the electrical section.

See this thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=178267

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2011, 11:14 PM.

Comment

A battery maintainer would take about 4 or 5 hours to pump enough juice back into a dead 14 aH battery. If you jump it with car, make sure car is NOT running or you could fry some very expensive parts on your bike. As Basscliff said, you need to do the charging system tests to determine what is wrong. What is this " updated OEM unit" ? When you replaced your R/R last summer, did you straighten out any of the wiring issues- clean, solid connections, etc.?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You need to diagnose the problem. Please follow Basscliff's instructions in the link above.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

save up and get a volt meter

Comment

"To check is to know". You really do have to diagnose what is happening and there is no better guide than the Stator papers. You do need a digital multimeter and you can get good ones for under $20 at most automotive stores. You can't figure out electrical issues without one.

Follow the steps outlined in the flow chart and you will know what is really happening.

Good luck,
            Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              save up and get a volt meter
              I have paid under $5.00 for one at Harbor Freight. Had to put off buying the new shoe laces I was saving up for though.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Genuinedrummer View Post
                I replaced the R/R unit on my 82 650 last season, and since about January of this year have kept it on a battery maintainer whenever it's parked. I have had no issues whatsoever with the electrical system since replacing the R/R unit, UNTIL a few weeks ago I got the bike out to ride to work and it acted as though the battery was dead. I left it off the maintainer and drove to work. That night I put it on the maintainer for a couple of hours and it got enough charge to start, but after killing it, it was too weak to crank again. It has sat off the maintainer for a couple of weeks now, and I finally got a chance to mess with it tonight. I tried charging it with the maintainer (the only charger I have) but after a couple of hours it was still as dead as when I had plugged it in. So I jumped it off the car, and had no problems firing her up. I ran her for a couple of minutes and then took her for a short ride, maybe 5 miles or so, averaging 40 MPH and maybe 4k RPM. I figured that should be enough to put a charge on the battery, but after I returned home and killed it, there was absolutely no juice again! I don't know what the problem is, but I hope its not the R/R unit gone bad again, because I can not afford to replace it right now. I used an updated OEM unit when I replaced it last summer, but I have heard a lot of guys talk about using after market units for these bikes. Does this sound like a R/R problem, or maybe a stator? Or perhaps a battery issue? The battery isn't the highest quality (I got it at Autozone) and its a little over a year old... Please someone help, I don't want to miss any more of the riding season! Thanks!

That it has no power after hours of being on a maintainer is kind of suspicious. Have you checked the fluid level in the battery.

Some of the cheaper maintainers are unregulated and will overcharge the battery (albeit very slowly). Used often enough for long enough, they will "boil" (actually electrolyse) the water right out of the battery.

The safe ones are regulated to a maximum voltage of and will say "float charger" you can leave those connected continuously. Others (typically labeled "trickle charger") just put out a fairly continous low current, but have an unregulated voltage. They can do an ok job maintaining a battery if they are connected for say one night a month but not much longer than that.

Don't know if this was your problem, but it may be a possibility.

Comment

Going through r/r woes myself right now. From what I've been learning it sounds like maybe a dead battery to me, but some quick testing with a multimeter will be the only way to know for sure after the battery is fully charged. Investing in a propper charger is worthwhile too, I use mine all the time between the car/bikes/mower... a worthwhile investment.

Comment

You been hit by the GS stator R/R bug

Do your tests, then replace your R/R with a Compufire, a new Eletrosports stator, new Battery, check and clean all your connections and add an extra heavy duty ground wire from the battery to the frame and one from the R/R to the engine/frame. Shunt type R/Rs suck, Series R/Rs are the bomb.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                    X