Starter is growling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter is growling

For starters (hehe)...I have a 1983 GS850GL.
    When I turn the key on and press the start button all I get is a growl coming from the starter. No clicking, no turning over....just a growling noise. I don't know how else to describe it so I apologize. If you'd like I can attempted to record a sound clip and upload it. I'm assuming something is broke and its not an electrical problem. I just don't have enough knowledge to know if its the starter solenoid, starter motor or anything else pertaining to the start of my bike. But since I am new to all this I figured I'd ask you all. Any help is greatly appreciated!

We need a lot more information

Did you just get this bike?

Did it just start doing this?

Take off your right side cover and find the solenoid - does it click when you hit the starter button?

Try "jumping" the solenoid posts with a screwdriver. Turn over now?

It's time to break out your VOM and see what voltage you have where. Could be

Bad battery
    Corroded connections
    Dirty solenoid
    Dirty starter
    Leaky petcock

Check your oil level - is there gas in your oil?

Take the spark plugs out - does it turn over now?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Starter problem

If you hear a "growling noise" and it's coming "from" the starter, you've already isolated the problem because you know (a) you're getting juice to your starter (so there's nothing wrong with the solenoid) and (b) your starter isn't turning over even though it's getting power. (Starters go 'belly up' every so often but they're easy to work on.)

It could possibly be your starter clutch jamming up or it could be that your starter needs to be rebuilt or your battery is nearly shot. I'd check the battery first to make sure it's in good shape. If it is, I'd remove the starter and 'bench test' it. From there, you'll probably be able to determine the problem pretty easily.
      Last edited by chuckycheese; 06-29-2011, 06:46 PM.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

In response to chuckcheese:
        It sounds like your on the right track. I have identified that I have a bad R/R in addition to the starter problem so I'm waiting for that to come in for me to replace. After that gets replaced I believe I will be able to test the health of my battery. And then further test the starter problem. We may be waiting for a week or so for any results, unless I can test for a bad battery with a bad R/R in place...I don't know. :\

In response to Big T:
        Did you just get this bike?
        A couple months ago.

Did it just start doing this?
        Yes, last weekend. I can pop start the bike with no issue.

Take off your right side cover and find the solenoid - does it click when you hit the starter button?
        As I mentioned previously, no clicking.

Try "jumping" the solenoid posts with a screwdriver. Turn over now?
        I will attempt that this evening.

I will also attempt to check the electrical system this evening.

Check your oil level - is there gas in your oil?
        Oil level is fine, no gas in oil.

Take the spark plugs out - does it turn over now?
        I will attempt that this evening.

Thank you guys for the quick responses. Please let me know if I need to provide any further information.

Comment

You should charge up your battery at .5 amps and try the starter again

Give us

Static Battery voltage
          Voltage at 3,000 rpm (if you can get it running)
          Voltage with starter button pushed
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I am having the exact same problem with my scoot today. Brand new battery...
            Starter is pulling lots of power. My voltage drops down to around 6v when I hit the starter button. Has been working fine until now. All the rest of the electrical system checks out OK. Guessing starters just go ka-put?

Comment

Working...
            X