Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revised Phase B Stator Test

Hello,
    Searched through the threads but don't seem to find any that fit my problem.
    My charging system voltage won't rise past 12.8-13 volts (that's common!). Have wired up with single ground point and reg output direct to battery (wiring harness is only two years old.). Less then .02 volt drop from reg- to battery-. Stator wired directly to reg. Regulator checks fine (have swapped with 3 others to confirm, my old regulator installed into another bike-fine!). Heres the rub. The stator outputs 80-90vac at 5K on each leg. Good. When go from each leg to ground i get 40 vac. Bad. No problem, bad stator and replace with new electrosport (my original was electrosport as well). Same problem. Ok- very unlikely to have same problem but i try again. This time with a stock stator taken from working bike. Same. Have built a dummy load jig and same results- across each leg about 80-90 vac and to ground about 40ac. At this point i am stumped. What is the common element i am missing? I should also mention two different batteries. Any opinions and theories appreciated!
    Allan

Originally posted by atone View Post
    Hello,
    My charging system voltage won't rise past 12.8-13 volts (that's common!). Have wired up with single ground point and reg output direct to battery (wiring harness is only two years old.). Less then .02 volt drop from reg- to battery-. Stator wired directly to reg. Regulator checks fine (have swapped with 3 others to confirm, my old regulator installed into another bike-fine!). Heres the rub. The stator outputs 80-90vac at 5K on each leg. Good. When go from each leg to ground i get 40 vac. Bad. No problem, bad stator and replace with new electrosport (my original was electrosport as well). Same problem. Ok- very unlikely to have same problem but i try again. This time with a stock stator taken from working bike. Same. Have built a dummy load jig and same results- across each leg about 80-90 vac and to ground about 40ac. At this point i am stumped. What is the common element i am missing? I should also mention two different batteries. Any opinions and theories appreciated!
    Allan
    Welcome; sound like you are Rob's Friend. You are doing the AC tests with the R/R disconnected I hope? Stator should be completely floating. Not as good of a test but a sanity check check from continuity between stator and ground using ohm meter. That will not break down the insulation but will see if your test is OK maybe (or prove it wrong).

If you keep getting the 40 VAC leg to frame you have something shorted.

P.S the 0.02 V drops are on both the positive and negative sides?

for reference................

Last edited by posplayr; 07-02-2011, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Hello,
      Allan

Allan,

Is that you? If so have you forgotten all your electronic theory?

Chris
      1983 750 Katana
      1982 750 Katana (parts use)
      1983 RZ350

Comment

Hello,
        Yes, i am Rob's friend- believe he spoke to you about this one! I have searched all through your posts looking for any info that might help. You have been very generous with your time and knowledge!
        I am testing the stator disconnected from the rest of the bike both un-loaded and also hooked to dummy loads. I now have tried three stators! Continuity checks across the legs check good and with no leakage from each leg to ground.
        I get no measurable voltage drop from reg+ to the battery+ as i have it wired direct.
        I should also mention i brought another meter home from work to try in case mine was not working. Tested them both on a variac(variable ac power supply) and they read correctly.
        I am wondering if i am too close to this and missing something obvious!
        Allan

Comment

Hi Chris,
          Yeah it's me! Maybe- been a few years! Surprised to "see" you here!
          PM me later-accidently wiped out my address book!
          Allan

Comment

voltages:
            battery key off 12.96
            battery key on after 1 min 12.2
            battery idle 12.6
            battery after 1 min at 5k 13.1
            reg+ to batt + .06
            reg- to batt- .02
            across stator legs (3) idle 25vac
            across stator legs (3) 5k 90+vac
            each stator leg to ground idle 10vac
            each stator leg to ground at 5k 50vac

Comment

voltages:
              battery key off 12.96
              battery key on after 1 min 12.2
              battery idle 12.6
              battery after 1 min at 5k 13.1
              reg+ to batt + .06
              reg- to batt- .02
              across stator legs (3) idle 25vac
              across stator legs (3) 5k 90+vac
              each stator leg to ground idle 10vac
              each stator leg to ground at 5k 50vac
              At least there is something consistent going on. Apparently your stator is grounded out and it it showing on the output voltage.

Did you get rid of the stator loop to the left hand switch? All stator wires directly to the R/R?

Any other way the stator could be shorting to case ground?

Comment

Hello,
                Allan
                Is there anything the same about those three stators? Any way you are grounding all three out?

Comment

Hello,
                  Yes, the stator is directly connected to the reg. Pulled the stator cover for the twentieth time to see if there is anyway something is causing it to short out. Couldn't find anything. Put it back together and tried again. Same results. Then i had an idea- i ran the tests without the headlight fuse. Boom- 13 at idle and 14.4 at 5k. Now i am not sure were this leaves me. Since the 10 amp headlight fuse is not blowing i think i am correct in assuming the headlight circuit itself is not causing the problem, that is just to much load for the system. Marginal output from the reg (even though i tried three)? Marginal output from the stator (it still measures 50vac to ground at 5K but it also puts out 90vac into the dummy load)? At least this is some progress!

Comment

Hello,
                    Yes, the stator is directly connected to the reg. Pulled the stator cover for the twentieth time to see if there is anyway something is causing it to short out. Couldn't find anything. Put it back together and tried again. Same results. Then i had an idea- i ran the tests without the headlight fuse. Boom- 13 at idle and 14.4 at 5k. Now i am not sure were this leaves me. Since the 10 amp headlight fuse is not blowing i think i am correct in assuming the headlight circuit itself is not causing the problem, that is just to much load for the system. Marginal output from the reg (even though i tried three)? Marginal output from the stator (it still measures 50vac to ground at 5K but it also puts out 90vac into the dummy load)? At least this is some progress!
                    Are you sure teh headlamp loop is disconnected?

Comment

Is there any open spots in the wires from the stator maybe grounding out in the cases either in the cover or where it runs through the starter housing? Is it pinched anywhere??

Comment

Hi,
                        If i remove the 10 amp fuse from the fuse box would that not eliminate the headlamp loop? I also get close to the same results if i disconnect the headlamp at the plug. When i measure the current draw (in place of the fuse) on the headlamp circuit it is 5.6 amps. Seems to be just enough to stop the charging circuit from working.
                        Don't know if this is a clue or not - took for a 10 min test ride and now the charge voltage at 5K is 13.9 instead of the previous 14.4 i got without the headlamp fuse.

Comment

"Is there any open spots in the wires from the stator maybe grounding out in the cases either in the cover or where it runs through the starter housing? Is it pinched anywhere??"

i have had the stator cover off about twenty times checking it over- also this is my 3rd stator with same results (one new electrosport and one used oem from working bike)

Comment

where is the positive or red wire coming from the regulator hooked----like POS said are you absolutly sure the headlight loop is out of the system---have you run the positive regulator wire directly to battery positive with an inline fuse?

Comment

Hello,
                              The reg+ is directly wired to the battery (no fuse currently while testing- will add). No measurable voltage drop between reg+ and battery +. Not sure about about the question regarding the headlight loop. If the headlight fuse is removed does that not remove the headlight circuit? Am i misunderstanding the question?

Comment

Working...
                              X