What is the Stator/Generator Output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Stator/Generator Output

Does anyone know what the generator wattage output is for the early 550 bikes ('77 to 79)?

Thanks

Don,
    I could not find any official figure anywhere. Hopefully someone else has something.
    My best guess would be 180 - 200 Watts. The bike has a 12AH battery, but not sure if this played a role at the time the 550 was built. Then again the OEM stator may differ compared to an aftermarket or a stator that fits off another type of bike. The 12 pole stator would put out less current than the 18 pole.
    You may need to measure it, AC ammeter on one phase multiplied by 3 should give you a fair indication. Never tried it myself yet.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
      Don,
      I could not find any official figure anywhere. Hopefully someone else has something.
      My best guess would be 180 - 200 Watts. The bike has a 12AH battery, but not sure if this played a role at the time the 550 was built. Then again the OEM stator may differ compared to an aftermarket or a stator that fits off another type of bike. The 12 pole stator would put out less current than the 18 pole.
      You may need to measure it, AC ammeter on one phase multiplied by 3 should give you a fair indication. Never tried it myself yet.
      Hope this helps.
      Power in a balanced three phase ac generator is P= 1.73 V I where V is voltage between any two phases and I is current coming out of one phase. So, if a typical suzuki stator has a V=14 volt and an I = 8 amp, then power is 194 watts. The 18 poles versions were probably a slight improvement over the 12 pole models, especially at low rpms.
      Be careful measuring ac currents at high frequency, they can bite!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X