Have I missed something in the tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I missed something in the tuning

I have been setting the ign timing on my GS750L (not a TSCC engine) have cleaned and gaped the contact breakers (points) to 0.015 in at the highest point of the lift of the crankshaft. How ever when trying to set the timing i cannot get the contacts to (crack) spark at the static timing marks the base plate has to be turned anticlockwise and it is still not far enough. If I remove the bottom two base plate screws I can get it to about 0.020 in away from the static timing mark.
    This bike has been very very hard to start since I got it and this is my first good look at it(been parked in the corner after I got it)

Are all the base plates the same?? ie 750-1000 if not how can i tell if this is a 750 base plate or a other size engine.

any ideas ???

has anyone had this problem? could i have the wrong contact breakers?

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar View Post
      has anyone had this problem? could i have the wrong contact breakers?

After you install the points and are getting ready to set the gaps, first lock the base plate down with the 12 o'clock screw centered in the adjustment slot of the base plate. You do not move the base plate in setting the points gaps. The points gaps are adjusted by moving the points on the base plate. Doing it this way give you full adjustment on the base plate in either direction when you set the timing. Set the points to .014

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I am not familiar with that particular bike , but ,does it have a centrifugal advance that is seized or damaged??
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

If the advance isn't seized open, you're using the wrong marks

Start at F 1-4 for the left set of points

It's doubtful the base plate is the source of your problem

You are using .014 inch ,right?
          Last edited by Big T; 07-06-2011, 02:46 AM.
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X