No announcement yet.

Well, it is my turn for troubleshooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think you will regret it if you do. Personally I think this is the answer to GS electrical problems, but only time will tell, its relatively new to everyone.
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      THat is a glowing recomendation... or in this situation a not glowing recomendation, which is good. Thanks.

THanks.

I am familiar with the discussions about the stock R/R (and "Honda" R/R) being the shunt type of regulator where esentailly the stator is putting out full current all the time and the R/R esentailly "wasting" any excess. So no need to rehash that all here.

With the look of the stator, I certainly suspect a problem/failure with the R/R. I have checked my R/R (Duaneage "Honda" R/R kit) everywhich way with the diode check feature of meter per the Stator Papers, and all checks okay.
      BUt perhaps the stator damage is from the regular service the shunt type R/R inflicts upon the the stator.

I will look into the Compufire.

Thanks Guys,
      Dave
      Do we have the first confirmed Honda R/R stator burn-up????

Comment

compufire, Oregon

To review:
        It is a Ricks stator and Shindnedwhatever R/R (sometimes called "Honda") both installed in 2008, I would think at same time but do not specifically recall.

Stator tested on no load at 40v , 40v and about nothing (not 70-70-70). Ohm check okay from lead to lead, but instead of being open to ground was just under 2 ohms.
        R/R test good on all diode checks using the diode test of digital meter.

I will say that the "Honda" R/R (Shindending....) has worked well, it has the sense lead so controlls battery voltage better. And it seems to want to controll at a higher voltage like 14 point something, which is more appropiate for modern sealed batterys (that is a subject that I dont think has been mentioned before).
        But, overall, is still a shunt type of regulator (same as stock or most others) that runs stator at full load all the time, so in that respect is still same as stock. And all that has been discussed in detail, so no need to review all that.

By the way, I still thank Duanage for his fine service to the GS community. So I'm not at all making any negitive statments about his service or anything. (and dont care to hear any negitive comments).

Have looked at Compufire. Seems to be big honker units to impress Harley guys, at about $190. Which compared to being dead on the road and a the cost of new stator every 2 - 3 years, I suppose is not bad.

HAve also found Oregon units that I am looking at. Seems to be maybe same mounting size as stock (not sure) and about $100. Will be looking more.

Last edited by Redman; 07-06-2011, 07:09 AM.
        http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
        Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          To review:
          It is a Ricks stator and Shindnedwhatever R/R (sometimes called "Honda") both installed in 2008, I would think at same time but do not specifically recall.

Stator tested on no load at 40v , 40v and about nothing (not 70-70-70). Ohm check okay from lead to lead, but instead of being open to ground was just under 2 ohms.
          R/R test good on all diode checks using the diode test of digital meter.

I will say that the "Honda" R/R (Shindending....) has worked well, it has the sense lead so controlls battery voltage better. And it seems to want to controll at a higher voltage like 14 point something, which is more appropiate for modern sealed batterys (that is a subject that I dont think has been mentioned before).
          But, overall, is still a shunt type of regulator (same as stock or most others) that runs stator at full load all the time, so in that respect is still same as stock. And all that has been discussed in detail, so no need to review all that.

By the way, I still thank Duanage for his fine service to the GS community. So I'm not at all making any negitive statments about his service or anything. (and dont care to hear any negitive comments).

Have looked at Compufire. Seems to be big honker units to impress Harley guys, at about $190. Which compared to being dead on the road and a the cost of new stator every 2 - 3 years, I suppose is not bad.

HAve also found Oregon units that I am looking at. Seems to be maybe same mounting size as stock (not sure) and about $100. Will be looking more.

those are not SERIES; I tested one

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...p+series+r%2Fr
          Last edited by posplayr; 07-06-2011, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Pos,

Thanks for pointing out your previous investigation.
            THe report (PDF) looks like it should detect what needs to be tested. Although I will want to study in more detail later (only had a minute or so). I will need to better determine what the yellow and the blue and the red traces represent.

Dave

>>later note
            1 yell 20 volts
            2 blue 20 amps
            3 red 200 watts
            Last edited by Redman; 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
            X