78 gs750 ignition timing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs750 ignition timing ?

found one of my problems.. the timing was set at top dead center "T" mark instead of the "F" position it seems to have a better exhaust snap in the garage now. cant test ride as i would like to do some more work on it. boy its hot out started to get the oil a little hot. so i'll let her cool down a while. i have heard that using a timing light doesnt work on these old bikes to use a test light or an ohm meter. is it ok to give it a little advance like a car? or should it be dead nuts??
    Brian

Hi,

Your ignition should have a mechanical advance. I don't think there's a need to manually advance the timing. Have a look at this little article:

Points Timing

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Not sure where you heard that? Worked just fine for me. If anything, they're less useful on newer motors with fixed, computerized ignition systems. If you're using an inductive timing light you should be able to both time the motor and verify that the mechanical advance is working correctly.

Originally posted by sparkey View Post
      i have heard that using a timing light doesnt work on these old bikes to use a test light or an ohm meter.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        Not sure where you heard that? Worked just fine for me. If anything, they're less useful on newer motors with fixed, computerized ignition systems. If you're using an inductive timing light you should be able to both time the motor and verify that the mechanical advance is working correctly.
        it was a post by Suzuki Don. post number 2.
        This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

Your ignition should have a mechanical advance. I don't think there's a need to manually advance the timing. Have a look at this little article:

Points Timing

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          gonna try it the ohm meter way and see how close it is to my timing lite. i have an el cheapo timing light from autozone 20 years ago (direct hookup)

Comment

timing is ok now the ohm meter works the same as the timing light. it hesitates all thru the gears now. i am almost ready to give up. anyone want a needs work bike?

Comment

now i'm into the cams now. thinking maybe the guy before me set the timing wrong. no matter what i do to the fuel delivery it still will not achieve full throttle.

Comment

Turns out the points had a bigger gap than required! Properly gapped it is running way better now!
                Thanks to all!!!
                Brian

Comment

Working...
                X