Noob mistake: Wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob mistake: Wiring harness

So, I ignorantly started removing the old wiring harness on my bike, so as to install an unmolested one, and forgot to take pictures of what goes where. Does anybody have detailed pics of the connection points for the wiring harness on my bike?

Also, I seem to have a pigtail on the new harness that I can't find the male end for.

That's on the end closest to the headlight. There is a similar one that attaches near the coils, but I've already got that one hooked up. My bike previously had a Vetter fairing installed and there were a couple plugs on the harness that were disconnected and wrapped up. I just can't recall if this was one of them. Any ideas what it's supposed to attach to?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM.

The piece you are holding in the picture should plug into the lead from your left handlebar control, lights turn signals horn etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Indysteve View Post
      The piece you are holding in the picture should plug into the lead from your left handlebar control, lights turn signals horn etc.
      I already have that one plugged into the lead from the left handlebar control. The piece I'm holding in the picture won't reach that far. It's at the headlight end of the harness, whereas the one for the left hand controls spots further back a bit, by the quotes for the horn. Our do I have the order wrong?

I'll see of I can put up a picture to better illustrate.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-05-2011, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Here we go:

The white pigtail is plugged into the lead for the left hand controls. I'm still not sure where the black one goes.

Comment

If you are talking about 12 pin plugs and you have two of them then you have a wiring harness off a GS550. I suggest you plug everything in the way you think it should go and then test that everything works: headlights, blinkers, ign, starter, etc. If anything doesn't work then you would need to trace that item out following the color of the wires from the wiring diagram.

Comment

You ain't alone - I'm having the exact same problem. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              If you are talking about 12 pin plugs and you have two of them then you have a wiring harness off a GS550. I suggest you plug everything in the way you think it should go and then test that everything works: headlights, blinkers, ign, starter, etc. If anything doesn't work then you would need to trace that item out following the color of the wires from the wiring diagram.
              Partshark.com is listing the 750 as having two 12-pin plugs as well.

Mine seems to look like the one they have in that link.

Originally posted by DCrippa View Post
              You ain't alone - I'm having the exact same problem. lol
              So close too! Mine was running when I got it, so there (hopefully) shouldn't be too much left for me to do.

Comment

That diagram from Partsshark is different than the one I have in the Genuine GS750 Parts Book that I have, but mine is for Australian models so may be different. Anyway I would say that you hook up the 12 pin connector that is the middle of the harness and leave the one up near the head light unplugged as it is probably a spare for running accessories or whatever.

Comment

Cool. I'll give that a try.

Thanks!

Comment

the flat wide plug looks like the connector that goes into the clocks on my katana

Comment

Originally posted by sparki View Post
                      the flat wide plug looks like the connector that goes into the clocks on my katana
                      I believe that on the 1000G I just changed the wiring harness on, the plug from the tach/speedo was the same as the same as the left switch pod, but the left switch pod plugs were blue. Its been a few weeks though...
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                      X