points sparking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

points sparking

on my gs750 the 1-4 point is sparking. i know it is a bad condensor. question is: will this cause my problem with my full throttle bogging? i am 2 inches from parting this f/in bike out.

Possibly..but the main issue is the points sparking.. They will spark very faintly normally..but its kinda hard to notice. If your seeing a good big spark, then the main problem is burnt points and the gaps being WAY to big. Look at the flats on the points and i think you may see lots of pitting and maybe abit of a blackish color. Time for new points i think..I always replace the condensers too just to be sure everything is fresh. Properly gap the new points and while the cover is off check the timing as well.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The answer is yes

Sparking points means little spark at plugs = misfire

Replace points and condensors, or better yet, get a dyna S
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Sparkey if you are going to get new points and condensers make sure you get the correct ones as there are two different types.

Kokusan and NipponDensi.

You need to get the points and condensers to suit your base plate. The contact points are not interchangeable. Also the advance/retard unit is a match with the base plate and contact points.

Don't mix and match.

KOKUSAN Contact points (above), note they are larger than the ND point set.

ND points set above are smaller than the KOKUSAN (top picture).

Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2011, 03:57 AM.

Comment

The 1-4 point is sparkin like a giant sparkplug. hopefully this is what the problem is. seriously thinking about the dyna ignition. the bike was running better but not perfect untill I opened the stator up and adjusted the points. gonna try to close them up a little while waitin for parts. It is timed correcly and advances as it should.
          Thanks guys...

Comment

The gap should be .018 inches...no more. I usually shoot for .016
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

yep if the points are sparkin' the plugs a sure aint.

electricity follows the path of least resistance - and if the lazy little spark bugger can find a path back to ground waaaaaay before having to travel all the way up to the top of the engine and thru a resistor cap well it's just going to avoid the whole trip and just sit and spark his butt off down at the points plate and burn up the contacts. bummer for igniting fuel in a pressurized chamber.

get a condenser. however from what I'm reading , I advise getting 2 new sets of points and 2 new condensers , and a set of NGK spark plugs.

, by the time you get a condenser you'll need points. and then hope the plugs are not fouled too badly. In my experience, try to patch up a points ignition system 1 part at a time--you'll have persistant problems.

you'll get it running again - setting points is an art. keep fiddling with gap and backing plate alignment.(0.12"~0.16") gap is a big window for timed igniton to be off. A timing light is handy to get perfect dwell for both pairs of cylinders.... as is a dwell meter. - but who has those anymore?

I like 0.014- maybe 15 in a pinch when all I have is a match book or business card, but the range is 0.012 ~ 0.016 and adjust the backing plate accordingly to your choice of gap.
              I like dyna "S" easy simple clean and last for years.
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Gapped the points today for .014 and timed it with a timing light. I have a cheapo set of feeler gauges from the ZONE, i have my doubts on how accurate they are. .018 was way to much gap. WOW!!! What a difference. No wonder all that carb adjusting wasnt having any effect! It now is ridable!! Cant wait to see what a new set of points and condensers do!!! I am gonna keep it stock and go with points and skip the dyna s setup.
                Thank You Chuck, Don, and Trippivot!!!!

Brian

Comment

I was thinking .018 for some reason..but hey i havent been right for a long time so that doesnt surprise me..LOL. Glad its running better. Once the new points and condensers are in the carbs will be way easier to get set up. Good hot and consistant spark goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    I was thinking .018 for some reason..but hey i havent been right for a long time so that doesnt surprise me..LOL. Glad its running better. Once the new points and condensers are in the carbs will be way easier to get set up. Good hot and consistant spark goes a long way.
                    You were right! The book says .018. I think its maybe the cheapo feelers i got or the points are so worn that 018 is too much.

PS: i aint right either so join the club

Comment

Working...
                    X