1980 GS550ES signal generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update;

The lack of 12V has nothing to do with the position of the signal magnets. I set them up so that they were oriented up-down (the signal coils are oriented left=right) and there's no change.

I also learned that the electronic ignition was (may have been) a Canada only setup. There are certainly no used replacement igniters available locally or through ebay. I can buy a new one though....for $420!

No thanks ...I ordered a Dynatek DS3-2 for $130.

It's not entirely clear how I will hook this thing up, but I have 3-5days to figure it out.

I will search a bit.

Comment

Guys, not to horn in, but if the DS3-2 works on the 80 GS550 will it not work on the 80/81 GS250.

They both are quoted off the OEM parts fish as using IGNITER UNIT 32900-47020 even though one is a 4cyl and the other is a twin.

Thanks

Comment

No problem with the horn in briars...he more people talking he less I am walking.

It's entirely possible they are the same part. Reason being that on the four cylinder cylinders 1 and 4 both spark at the same time regardless of which is on the power stroke. Same for cylinders 2 and 3.

One spark is "wasted" but as I understand it (a) so what and (b) the wasted spark actually helps to burn off any unburned gasses hanging around.

I have two signal coils and two ignition coils, and I assume you do too.

* That all said...call Dynatech or better yet email them using the contact us chat window on their website and ask what part they recomend for your application. They responded in minutes with the recommended apparatus for my bike when I emailed them.

Also by the way. Dynatech wanted $162 for the part but I got mine from Amazon.com (of all places) for $133.

Comment

Working...
        X