Tail/Brake light wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tail/Brake light wiring

I swapped out my old tail-light for an LED job.

The new one has a plate light that I won't use because it's covered up in that mounting. I will probably rig up some kind of reflective tape or cover to bounce that light back into the tail-light.

Here is my problem. It looks like I have the brake light and running light set up backwards. The running tail-light works fine. When I hit the brake, however, it does not seem brighter. Instead, it seems to trigger the plate light (which is covered and washes out). Is this just a wire shuffle? Consider the relevant diagram:

Top to bottom the wires are white, brown and black/white.

When I try to shuffle them to reverse the result (i.e., plate light as running and bigger red lights as brake), other combinations give no lights.

Can someone identify what these three wires do (i.e., ground, brake, running)? Or is there another spot in the wiring to explore for this?

TIA

Do you have the wiring functions for your new light?

On the bike:
    WHITE wire is BRAKE
    BROWN wire is TAIL
    BLACK/WHITE is GROUND

And before anybody says "you need load resistors to get it to work right", no you don't.
    If this light is designed to be used on a vehicle that uses a 12-volt system, it will already be set up to handle that.
    The load resistors are only for the turn signals to load the (stock) thermal flasher so it works.

Last edited by Steve; 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Cool. Looks like reversing the white and brown wires will do the trick. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X