Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil light side stand light at idle

gday all,
    bike ready for roadworthy finally, just noticed my oil and stand light on at idle go out at throttle up have read about the o-ring thingy wondering as my bike doesnt have a side stand switch on it could this be the reason for the light at idle there are a couple of ground wires and a white red wire that dont go anywhere that have been taped up(thought they were for the original r/r) and everything else works fine cheers.

Originally posted by nahoo7 View Post
    gday all,
    bike ready for roadworthy finally, just noticed my oil and stand light on at idle go out at throttle up have read about the o-ring thingy wondering as my bike doesnt have a side stand switch on it could this be the reason for the light at idle there are a couple of ground wires and a white red wire that dont go anywhere that have been taped up(thought they were for the original r/r) and everything else works fine cheers.
    Have you taken switch out and attempted to clean it-they can get sticky. My 650 L uses a different oil method, but I would think light would go out immediately at start up. The original R/R was located in another area, maybe PO had a accessory plug.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That does not have side stand switch so check the cable connected to that switch that the wire loose from its connection or wire damaged.

Comment

I'm not sure if your bike works exactly like my 82 GS750E but...my side stand light and oil pressure light are on the same circuit. The oil pressure unit was gunked up and not working as it should and caused both lights to come on and stay on. I had to pull my oil pressure sensor out and clean it up and reinstall...not a major job on my bike, and that fixed it. Just something you might want to check out...good luck.
        sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
        1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
        1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
        1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
        1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
        1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
        1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
        1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

thanks guys will pull the switch and clean it up cheers.

Comment

If after the cleaning it still does the same problem.
            Check your dash lights. The oil light and side stand are on the same circuit via a diode. This was done so that if in the case that the oil light burned, the side stand light would come on to warn the driver that his oil pressure was not correct. My bike did the same thing. The fix was to removed the light bulb on the dash sockets, clean those contacts and then install the same type of light bulb but with a lower wattage. I originally installed lights that had a much higher wattage, so it was overpowering the diode. After putting the lower wattage lights it all went back to normal.

Give it a shot.

Originally posted by nahoo7 View Post
            thanks guys will pull the switch and clean it up cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X