No announcement yet.

Points/condenser replaced..now no spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess you mean swapping the condenser leads and see if I get the same problems on the 1&4 coil? I should probably try that then...I have switched the coils to confirm that the 2&3 side of the points were bad. I'll let you know what I find by switching them.

By the way, I saw your GS1000 rebuild post. If I can help, let me know.
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Okay...I switched the condenser leads and got the same results!...spark on 1&4 and no spark on 2&3..? Perhaps I have gotten 2 bad coils...the original coil and one I had laying around.
      But that can't be because I switched coils earlier and got the same results..I guess I'm going to have to continue to chase the wiring, maybe something is broken or crimped where I can't see it easily.
      sigpic

Comment

I feel like I'm missing a ground wire somewhere in the points/condenser/breaker plate area? The white wire and black wire going through the casing to the points both have power so is there some kind of grounding wire behind the breaker plate?

Thanks in advance...I need to take a break and my neighbor invited me over to his pool. I guess I'll have to meditate on this for a while in the water and hope for some help from the experts/experienced. Will check back in a little while.
        sigpic

Comment

OK Super, WIWT (wish I was there) in person and we would sort this out. You've been given a lot of good advice from Flyboy especially and the normal, everyday issues seem to have been covered. So now it gets down to some serious trouble shooting.

You say there is power (12v) to both the white and black wires. Yes. And you say that there is only sparks at the 1-4 set of points when separated. Yes.

This is how I would approach it. Remove the white and black wires from their respective set of points. Using a multi meter with the ign ON test each lead (white then black) to earth and you should see whatever the battery voltage is, roughly 12v, but could be lower (maybe 11.2v, etc) if the ign has been ON for some length of time doing testing. One lead of multimeter is clipped to a good earth (cylinder fins, crankcase, etc) then other lead goes to the white or black points wire.

Get back to us with the results.

If you have 12v (or whatever battery voltage is) on both points wires and that voltage is the same (both wires need to have equal voltage) then attach each wire in turn to the 1-4 set of points with a condenser wire. Make sure this set of points is closed. Turn ign ON and separate this set of points (1-4) and there should be a spark between the point contacts as they separate. If you see a spark with each lead (white and black) attached in turn then that proves two things. That the set of points is installed properly and working as they should. And secondly that both sets of wiring from the points back to the respective coils is intact and working as they should.

If these tests result in the above senario then there is a problem with the 2-3 set of points and probably the way they have been installed. There are no earth or ground wires on any of the points or backing plates. The points earth to the backing plate through direct contact and the backing plate earths to the crankcase housing which in turn earths to the battery via the negative lead.

Remove the 2-3 set of points and make sure all the fibre or plastic washers are in correct orientation. The 12v coming to the points must be insulated from the baseplate when the points are open, when the points close the 12v is allowed to go to earth. So make sure the 12v does not have a path to earth when the points are open. Check against the other set of points for clarity.

Also make sure the 2-3 points are actually closing when on the low part of the cam, this can be done using the multimeter set on the ohms scale. Although me being an old timer I insert a cigarette paper (no I'm not a smoker) between the points and rotate the engine and make sure as the points close they clamp the cigarette paper good and tight. This is how we used to do the ign timing in the "good old days" before we had multimeters, you would put the cigarette paper between the points and rotate the engine and you would pull lightly on the cigarette paper and as the points just started to open they would release the cigarette paper and it would pull away slightly letiing you know the points were just starting to open. Anyway I've been side tracked. Sorry!!!!!

Get back to us with results.

P.S. If you put the white or black wire from the coils on the wrong side of the insulating washer then that can run the 12v straight to earth.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2016, 09:04 PM.

Comment

The black hot wire from the 1/4 coil comes down and goes to the points on the 1/4 timing plate and a condenser is hooked to that as well. the same set up for the 2/3 coil. Be sure that both the blcak wire and the condenser spades are connected on the NUT SIDE of the fiber disc insulator. I saw the ;pic of the wires on the head side too...really makes no difference as long as they are on the outer sides of the insulators. As for wire color...mine are black on the 1000s ( which i recently done ) Guess you need to identify which is the hot wire that corresopnds with which coil.
            Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-10-2011, 08:44 PM.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I figured it out!!

Following everyone's help I began to see a constant issue. That the 2&3 points had to be insulated COMPLETELY for them to work. I went back and reviewed my order of changing the points from the beginning and remembered that the original points had a different insulating washer setup.

There was a very small insulating tube that went around the screw that was then followed by an insulating washer on the original points. The new set of points had a single insulating washer with a dimple in the middle. I guess the dimple was to take the place of the small tube and when I looked at the newer washer, it looked as if it had been compromised/squashed. I pulled the small tube and washer from the original points, put them in and MAGIC!! I got spark on the 2&3 coil!!

Thanks to everyone for their help and support. This site is awesome!! Now I will set the timing tomorrow and try cranking her up...
              sigpic

Comment

Well done super. Glad you got it sorted.

That's great. You're sons will be happy. Keep us updated on the results.

Comment

Will do..and again, thanks for the help.
                  sigpic

Comment

WoooooHoooooo

Comment

Working...
                    X