Starter removal on a GS650 G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter removal on a GS650 G

My son has a GS650 G which needs some starter work. I finally got the mounting bolts out and the starter is loose. I can't seem to get it worked clear to remove it from the housing. After reading some posts here, am I correct that the carbs and possibly the chain tensioner have to be removed to get the starter out? It looks like it is soooo close to coming out, but not quite.

Sure is the only way out on my 3 bikes. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by RENeal View Post
      My son has a GS650 G which needs some starter work. I finally got the mounting bolts out and the starter is loose. I can't seem to get it worked clear to remove it from the housing. After reading some posts here, am I correct that the carbs and possibly the chain tensioner have to be removed to get the starter out? It looks like it is soooo close to coming out, but not quite.
      Both carbs and tensioner have to be removed- good time to contemplate carb cleaning!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Sucks, the 650G airbox is not an easy one to remove and install.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Sucks, the 650G airbox is not an easy one to remove and install.
          Sure is, that's why I'm hoping next guy gets to do it!
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You Don't have to completely remove the carbs.
            But you definitely have to pull One side out, and move it Up out of the way.

Soo....you might as well just pull the carbs out completely and clean them, haha.

You don't need to remove the cam tensioner to pull the starter out.

Comment

On the 850 and larger engines, you can easily pull the starter without removing the carbs, but alas, not on the 550 and 650.

Pulling the carbs only takes about 5 minutes on the 850+ shafties, but still, it's always nice to skip the steps.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X