Lithium Iron motorcycle batteries???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lithium Iron motorcycle batteries???

Has anyone seen these in use for motorbikes?? If so how safe are they??

I have previously seen LiPo's used in RC cars explode

eXtreme-Rate Lithium Iron prismatic cells (chemistry LiFePO4)
    Regards,
    Andy
    Queensland Australia

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...h_PIC00011.jpg
    GS750B (1977)
    Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

I have heard of Lithium batteries starting on fire sitting by them self not hooked to anything. They will also create their own oxygen source so special fire extinguishers are need to put them out. There is a big push for them in the battery community as they are the newest best thing in their eyes. Unless you need something deep cycle with quick recharge times at a hefty price, I would stay away from them. Get a gel cell but it is just my opinion.

Comment

yeah I personally would go for them but I had a friend ask me about them.

I have previously used Oddessy batteries successfully in motorbikes and aircraft and I know they last ages, and have low self discharge too

Was just curious if anyone knew anything about them
      Regards,
      Andy
      Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)
      Wiseco 850 kit, K&N pods, 4-1 transac, Custom 2 pak paint, IKON shocks, Custom L.E.D light boards (turn + stop/tail + dash)

Comment

Use them at work and I know enough that they scare me.

Comment

A friend of mine tried Shorai litium iron batteries. Epic fail at first because of a design flaw, but after talking it over with Shorai he got a free replacement. He swears by them and has put hundreds of miles on the bike since. Here's the whole story:

Today was finally warm and dry enough to try for the maiden run of Project Kool-Aid, the Honda VTR. I was stoked, having worked on the bike most of the winter, so I checked and rechecked everything. Took it for a short run to my work, made few adjustments, and reveled in how light and perfectly...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Rich View Post
            A friend of mine tried Shorai litium iron batteries. Epic fail at first because of a design flaw, but after talking it over with Shorai he got a free replacement. He swears by them and has put hundreds of miles on the bike since. Here's the whole story:

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=23613.0
            Interesting story but I will not be running out to buy one.

Comment

That's fine- I'm not selling them. I just knew of a source of first hand info on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                Interesting story but I will not be running out to buy one.
                lol neither will I but I posted my questions because my mate asked me about them!

After seeing RC LIPO's catch fire I dont think I want to risk it in my 34yo bike.
                Regards,
                Andy
                Queensland Australia

GS750B (1977)

Comment

You know there is a difference between lithium ion (RC cars) and litium iron (Shorai), right? I'm not saying they are perfect......or even better than AGM. But they are different.

Check out Katman's build. I'm pretty sure he used a lithium iron battery.

Comment

So silly. LiIon and LiIr batteries are fine as long as you dont over charge them, hook them up correctly and dont grind on them while starting your bike. I dont understand whats so damn hard about keeping an eye on the charging status. Who here is using a cordless drill or anything for that matter? A123 batteries are whats in the pack that holds the charge in damn near ALL the battery powered tools these days. Now, how many of you have had a battery pack "blow up" of catch fire? Lithium has its benefits and safety issues just as a acid charged battery. As the old saying goes, "You have to be smarter than what youre working with."

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                      So silly. LiIon and LiIr batteries are fine as long as you dont over charge them, hook them up correctly and dont grind on them while starting your bike. I dont understand whats so damn hard about keeping an eye on the charging status. Who here is using a cordless drill or anything for that matter? A123 batteries are whats in the pack that holds the charge in damn near ALL the battery powered tools these days. Now, how many of you have had a battery pack "blow up" of catch fire? Lithium has its benefits and safety issues just as a acid charged battery. As the old saying goes, "You have to be smarter than what youre working with."
                      At work we have been using LiIon and LiIr batteries and have had several THERMAL events. This has happen like I said before while batteries have been unhooked sitting all by them self.

Comment

Any video I have seen on LiPo batteries appears to have been staged by an youtube sensationalist.

Comment

Ive been using Lithium batteries of one sort or another for a long time and have yet to have had an incident. Ive burned up 3 cordless tools overworking them and the batteries were still fine. I guess Im just lucky. Now as to a battery having a meltdown while under zero load, not saying youre lying, but damn near impossible. Being under too much load is what causes a meltdown. Id bet there were issue with the batteries from improper charging long before the events happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason the terminator View Post
                            At work we have been using LiIon and LiIr batteries and have had several THERMAL events. This has happen like I said before while batteries have been unhooked sitting all by them self.
                            This has peaked my interest - but I went with an AGM because I really don't ever want to experience a thermal event.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                              Ive been using Lithium batteries of one sort or another for a long time and have yet to have had an incident. Ive burned up 3 cordless tools overworking them and the batteries were still fine. I guess Im just lucky. Now as to a battery having a meltdown while under zero load, not saying youre lying, but damn near impossible. Being under too much load is what causes a meltdown. Id bet there were issue with the batteries from improper charging long before the events happened.

I really can't say any more for legal reason but it has and does happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X