Beginning Electrical Systems Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beginning Electrical Systems Checks

Hello. Recently started going over the electrical system of a 1983 GS 450e. I've gotten what I believe to be most of the electrical together but there is a connection on the right side which I can't figure out. This connection is coming out of the right in the wiring harness right where the tool box is supposed to be. One wire I have established is the ground but this one I can't figure out. Any thoughts on what it could be? It's a flat slide in connection.

Howdy. Basscliff will be along later to give you the official welcome but it might be awhile as he is on a rally with other GSR members. In the meantime, you can check out his site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/) and download a wiring diagram to help you figure that wire out.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Great! Thanks for the site I will bookmark this as well I think I got what I need to get her started up.

Comment

Welcome to the site!

I have an '82 450E and the only thing I can think of over on the right there is the connection to the signal generator and oil pressure switch, not sure if it's the same on the '83 or not though.

As Scott said, get onto BassCliff's site and get a manual, will help immensely...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Lucygoosey View Post
          Hello. Recently started going over the electrical system of a 1983 GS 450e. I've gotten what I believe to be most of the electrical together but there is a connection on the right side which I can't figure out. This connection is coming out of the right in the wiring harness right where the tool box is supposed to be. One wire I have established is the ground but this one I can't figure out. Any thoughts on what it could be? It's a flat slide in connection.
          What color is the wires in that connector.

I am guessing that maybe its for the brake light swtich, quessing, wild quess only by the general location. I am not familiar with the 450s.
          Is it green with orange stripe?

If you had a schematic you could probably figure it out by the color of the wire.

Tell us more what you find.

Yah, when a wire comes out of a harness, goes to a connector, and then goes into another harness you dont have much of a clue what it is becasue you cant see what device it goes to. But if had a schematic you can probably figure it out just by the volor of that wire, and next clue would be the combination of wire colors in that connector (can see what connector in the scehmatic has that same combination of wires by the colors).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Pete I don't think its exactly the same but close. Redman looking at the diagram it looks like it doesn't connect to anything forthis model. It's a black and white connectionn that comes out from the right next to where I think the turn signal relay is. Found it in the clymer manual though. But stupid me I realized I am connecting the battery all wrong thru this diagram when my new starter gets here I should have much progress to report.

Comment

Black/White is a ground wire on the Suzuki.

Option 1: It may be the ground wire for the kickstand switch.

Option 2: Suzuki does not provide a ground wire to the 2 wire flasher unit, but someone may have added that ground for a 3 wire electronic flasher unit.

You said it has a 'flat" connector and I am assuming this means its a spade female connector. See how close it reaches to the above possibilities.

Comment

Matchless I believe it is a spade connector but I hope it's for the latter option. I have heard of the kick stand switch and I have not located it. Due to a failed attempt at starting the bike i'm trying to figure out all the fail safes for starting up I hope the kickstand isn't one of them. Is there any other things have have to happen, be on, be off or be disconnected before it'll turn over?

Comment

OK, I just confirmed that the black/white wire is a spare ground for the US models and is for the flasher unit. It shows on you specific wiring diagram.

It seems as if your model may not have a side stand switch, but did have a clutch switch. You should have two yellow/green wires in the headlamp for the clutch switch. Either connect them together and bypass the clutch switch or connect them to the switch and try to start by pulling in the clutch lever.

Comment

Working...
                  X