Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Switch and Start Button Troubles

Hello,

I've been having issues with both the clutch switch and the start button not making contact when engaged. I have taken both apart and cleaned the contacts but it seems that both are worn from years of happily doing their jobs. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to rebuild them? By the looks of it, to change them out with ones from the salvage yard might prove to be both finicky and possibly fruitless if wear is a very common issue.

I'll keep working on them, but any advice is certainly welcome.

bypass the starter interlock and see wht happens.

Comment

Those clutch switches are available for around $10 Buy new !!
      The start button can be taken apart and cleaned..
      Replace the clutch switch or bypass it and see what happens

Comment

Usually the starter button has dead spiders and corrosion preventing a good contact, you sure you cleaned it well enough?
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hey,

Thanks for the advice. As I stated, I know what the problem is so I don't need to bypass the switches. In fact that IS the issue. The only way to get the bike to start is to bypass them (Which I would never do as a permanent solution as it is highly unsafe).

I just checked around and did see that the parts are available so I'll order NEW to save the aggravation of second hand, equally dysfunctional components. I'm pretty good with knowing what car parts can be picked up at salvage and what are worth getting new, but haven't figured that out with the bikes just yet.

Comment

I'm curious as to why you say it is unsafe to bypass the clutch switch? Mine is set up like that and hasn't run off on my yet.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yeah, if you don't bypass the clutch switch, how are you supposed to ride about on the starter motor and register the bike as a hybrid?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                I'm curious as to why you say it is unsafe to bypass the clutch switch? Mine is set up like that and hasn't run off on my yet.
                Yes, just bypass it and eliminate it as a problem forever.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X