Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 Testing stock coils

Morning all

Tried to do my High Idle and Vac Sync this weekend after the obligitary carb rebuild. The bike doesnt run very well it wont idle particularly and the plugs are all carbon fouled. Read a load on here last night and it seems electrical is my next adventure. I tried to check the voltage at the coils but the connectors are all encased in some kind of hard sealant. Anyone got any tips for removing it without damaging anything.

Thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2011, 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling

I've heard that some of the Suzuki coils have epoxy-potted leads. Most multimeters have nice, pointy ends on the probes. These can easily pierce the insulation of wires and get readings from the copper underneath. It's recommended to wear a tough glove on your other hand in case you go a bit too far though!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

I just went through my coil relay mod and in the process removed the leads from one coil. Yes, they are soldered to the coil and the joint encased in epoxy. The pointy lead of the multimeter will pierce the rubber cover on the wire, as previously posted. If you do remove the wires, it wasn't as hard as I feared to solder the wires back on and and stick them into place with epoxy putty. I did notice an improvement in smoothness once the coil relay mod was completed.

Comment

Thanks Guys

So probably best to leave well alone then. I dont have point ends on my meter probes but I read somewhere about using a pin through the insulation into the wire so I will give that a go. I think the coil relay mod is probably on the agenda but I would like a before reading before I start.

Tom

Comment

Working...
        X