Fried Battery Terminal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried Battery Terminal

Damn near took the whole bike apart except for the engine and reinstalled my new starter for my 1983 Suzuki GS 450ED. So I figured I would retry installing the battery since last time I got the connection wrong. I connected the ground to the negative and then went to connect the Black along with Red cable and it started to fry the terminal. I didn't even have the red hooked up to starter and use am I hooking this up incorrectly or is there a short?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-13-2011, 12:13 AM.

Originally posted by Lucygoosey View Post
    Damn near took the whole bike apart except for the engine and reinstalled my new starter for my 1983 Suzuki GS 450ED. So I figured I would retry installing the battery since last time I got the connection wrong. I connected the ground to the negative and then went to connect the Black along with Red cable and it started to fry the terminal. I didn't even have the red hooked up to starter and use am I hooking this up incorrectly or is there a short?
    We are going to need a bit more explaination here.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Oh sorry. I connected the red positive cable the one that has leads out to the starter and the fuse to an all black connection that came out the bottom right hand side of the motor.

Comment

I have seen different color wires (usually red or black) connected to the positive terminal of the battery. Regardless of color, the large wire that is connected to the POSITIVE terminal of the battery gets connected to one of the terminals of the starter solenoid. The other terminal of the solenoid is where the starter wire will be connected.

Look carefully before connecting a black wire from the engine to anything. The starter wire AND the ground wire are both black.
        The starter wire will come out from under the starter cover, the ground wire is usually bolted to the engine case near the top rear motor mount. Make sure which one you have before connecting it to the starter solenoid.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X