Electrical quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical quandary

I've been working on my 82 Suzuki gs750e for 7 months and still having some problems.I put on a new petcock,cleaned carbs following carefully the procedure listed on this forum including new o rings, set floats at recommended level ,cleaned connections,cleaned tank and sealed with POR 15 performed the quick test with the following results :

1.Key off 13.3V
    2.key on(but not cranking with lights for 10 seconds) 12.6V
    3.at idle at 1500 rpm 13.4V
    4.at 2500 rpm 14.0 V
    5.at 5000 rpm 13.7v
    6.key off 12.8v
    The motorcycle starts easily and runs great except sometimes when coming to a stop the rpms drop below 1000 and the engine stalls.I get home put the battery on a charger and at 2amps it takes 1 hour to charge fully.Is this typical of an electrical problem or could it be carb related?

sounds like two issues basically unrelated. The stator and r/r seem to be working fine but you have some bad connections. As described in the quick test the drop in voltage at 5K rpm is probbaly a bad connection between the R/R (+) and the Battery (+). Voltage output should always increase with RPM.

Step #5 by the voltage at 5000 RPM being higher than at 2500 RPM you have a pretty good indication that your connections are good. If the voltage at 5000 drops from 2500 you have bad connections. If you already checked the grounds then it is likely in the positive legs between R/R(+) and Battery (+) check fuse box and the large bullet connector to the battery. The voltage climbs above 15.0 V it is likely the R/R not regulating and is bad bad.

The stall at less than 1K rpm is probably general tune. 1K rpm is pretty low so it could be any number of things but not charging.

check:
    valve adjustment
    carb balance
    idle mixture screws
    voltage to the coils

these would be the main things

Comment

Sounds more like your tire pressure is a bit low.

Seriously, though, why are you putting the bike on a charger?

With numbers like that, things are nearly PERFECT.

By the way, what kind of battery are you using that has 13.3 volts?

Unless the charger has just been removed, you should not be seeing more than 12.8 or 12.9 with an AGM battery or about 12.6 with a "wet" battery.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Sounds more like your tire pressure is a bit low.

Seriously, though, why are you putting the bike on a charger?

With numbers like that, things are nearly PERFECT.

By the way, what kind of battery are you using that has 13.3 volts?

Unless the charger has just been removed, you should not be seeing more than 12.8 or 12.9 with an AGM battery or about 12.6 with a "wet" battery.

sounds like a surface charge(right after charging); battery was back down at 12.8 after running.

Battery was probably being charged after his 7 month rework; may be a little sulfided

Comment

Working...
        X