Another plug wire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another plug wire question

I've got Accel Super Coils on my '79 GS1000E. Wires are 8mm with straight plug terminals, and are removeable at the coil. They stick out way too far. Would like to replace with 45s at plugs. Can anyone suggest a set of pre-made wires?

Hi,

Just get your own plug caps and twist them on. See: Spark Plug Cap Replacement

For a full explanation of NGK plug cap part numbers see: http://www.sudco.com/spark.html

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Apparently the days of making up your own plug wires, or buying plug caps over the counter have gone the way of the real auto parts store. Local bike shops don't even have the caps. I have found a set of MSD universal wires at O'Reilly Auto Parts that may work out. Wanted the angled caps, but no way to buy them locally, and I'm getting tired of ordering things and waiting.

Comment

What bike shop are you going to? I got mine at my local one last year with no problems.

Ordering things and waiting are a fact of life as not everything for our old bikes are stored on site anymore. They have to get it from their distributers and sometimes that even means going back to Japan for it.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Went to local Honda/Suzuki dealer. Didn't have any caps in stock. Searched all the parts chains, farm supplies, and private bike shops, found nothing but pre-made sets. No loose caps or bulk wire. My problem is the Accel 8.8 wires on the bike now look friggin' huge. The straight plug caps on them stick out like highway bars. Thought I'd just make up some new wires with angled caps to tuck them in a bit. The MSD universal set I found has straight caps but they are a lot smaller than the Accels. And they're for a V8, so I'd have a spare set left over for my next project. The plug caps are already on, but they are cut-to-fit and come with the crimper to finish the coil end. Sounds like the way to go.

Comment

Fixed my plug wire problem......

Went from this,

to this.

With this

MSD wire set from O'Rielly Auto Parts. Comes with plug caps installed. Cut to length and crimp on the coil ends. Comes with a nifty little crimping tool that you use in your vise. Works great. It's for a V8, so I've got enough coil caps and wires left for another set, plus enough bare wire I cut off to make 2-3 more sets if I buy caps. Not too pricey at $40 if you consider the number of sets you'll get from it. They had a set with straight plug caps also. May wish later I'd gone with those. Straight but much smaller than the Accel caps. Those friggin' Accel caps are bigger than the plugs! An air-cooled motorcycle doesn't need Funny Car wires. Feel free to comment or critique.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
              MSD wire set from O'Rielly Auto Parts. Comes with plug caps installed. Cut to length and crimp on the coil ends.
              Looks good, Ray.

I did something similar on my son's bike. It came to us with Accel coils, just needed new wires. Went to Auto Zone, got some generic wires, but they had to be COIL wires, not PLUG wires, as they had to have similar caps on both ends. The only drawback of those wires is that I have to have the tips screwed onto the plugs, not just the threads showing, like stock wires/caps.

Originally posted by koolaid_kid
              I believe the OP wants 45 degree caps on the coils, not the plugs.
              Uhh, Kid, don't look now, but he is the OP.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The stock caps will screw off the stock wires and if the OD of the new wires aren't too big (or you can trim them down) you can put the stock angled spark plug caps on the new wires. ( yes, you'll have to cut off the new straight caps in most cases )

Comment

Working...
                X