Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced Starter: Worked -> Then Died

Hello all.

The starter went on my 1984 Gs 400. The engine was running very well up to that point.

I removed the Carbs, Cam chain tensioner and replaced the old starter. After bolting everything up. It ran initially, but wouldnot idle. It died as soon as I lifted off the throttle.

I managed to start it 7x times on my run around campus. It struggled each time to get going. Then, it would not longer start. The solenoid would not even click, but the headlights etc were still on. I had to push it back.

What should I try to rectify this problem? I am at a loss.

Originally posted by scottmc View Post
    Hello all.

The starter went on my 1984 Gs 400. The engine was running very well up to that point.

I removed the Carbs, Cam chain tensioner and replaced the old starter. After bolting everything up. It ran initially, but wouldnot idle. It died as soon as I lifted off the throttle.

I managed to start it 7x times on my run around campus. It struggled each time to get going. Then, it would not longer start. The solenoid would not even click, but the headlights etc were still on. I had to push it back.

What should I try to rectify this problem? I am at a loss.
    Most likely when you pulled off carbs, you disturbed the old carb boot/o-ring that seals the intake manifold- did you get new o-rings? Trying to reuse old ones is risky and would lead to poor idling.
    Did you lock cam chain tensioner in place BEFORE removing and remember to release AFTER reinstalling?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Is the electrics plate (plate that holds the reg/rec, fuses, starter solenoid etc) earthing ok? Pull off the side panel and try gently pushing on the panel so that it gets a better earth. If it works put another wire between the battery earth and the plate.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

What's the battery voltage sitting at right now both at rest, with the key on, and while you are trying to crank it? Once it does start, what's the voltage?

Essentially, have you run through the stator papers throughtout all this?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Awesome guys, fixed the starter issued. Thanks.

It was a loose connection at the starter.

Comment

Working...
          X