gs1100e, no dash power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1100e, no dash power

I ride my 83gs1100e very regularly and have recently made it my daily driver because i love riding it so much. Everything is great on it other than about a week ago i noticed my gear indicator was no longer lit up and i assumed i was losing battery charge. I made it home and realized it was my entire dash that no longer has power(gear indicator, guage backing lights, side stand light, neutral light, etc.) I puled the tank looking for another fuse box other than the one behind the side cover but didnt find anything. I checked the connections behind the headlight also and everything looks okay. Any ideas anyone?

I have the same problem. It is either the oil pressure switch or the check panel control unit.

Or maybe a loose wire somewhere?

Comment

Would the oil pressure switch cause the whole dash to lose power? What is the check panel control unit and where is it located?

Comment

It could be a ground issue. If a common ground is at fault, this could happen. Try grounding everything together.

Comment

I have a unit on eBay for the dash lights.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If all the "dummy" lights are failing or intermitant it's the check panel brain box under the tank. Black box about 4" by 3" with two sub harnesses coming out of it. They're subjected to a good deal of heat, over the years the connectors may swell a little and not stay tight together. My 83 1100 was the same way. I zip tied them together and problem solved. Put some contact cleaner in there and some dielectric grease. If that doesn't help it's possible the box is toast.

Comment

Originally posted by jordan View Post
              Would the oil pressure switch cause the whole dash to lose power? What is the check panel control unit and where is it located?
              The oil pressure switch only affects the top row of idiot lights, except your sidestand (which is controlled by the sidestand switch). It would not
              cause your whole dash to lose power.

The check panel control unit is only for those idiot lights used with the oil pressure switch. It also would not cause your whole dash to lose power.
              It is located attached to the frame under the right rear of your gas tank,
              (Over the carbs I think). It's as big as a pack of cigarettes and has two leads about a foot long with connectors on the end. Sounds like you lost
              a ground somewhere.
              sigpic
              Steve
              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT
                I may want that.

To the OP, please let us know if you get the problem fixed and how you fixed it.

Comment

well after over a week of riding it without the indicator working i started to get a small oil leak. i pulled the sprocket cover to find the culprit and somehow my indicator sensor has a piece broken off from the side, this piece also is one of the two mounting locations for the indicator sensor, which is where im leaking oil. i havent pulled it off completely but im guessing i have a cut wire or something. Im locating a replacement sensor on ebay and was wondering which gs models use the same sensor? they all seem to look pretty similiar

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMESELX%3AIT

Aww crap Chef ! I woulda took that.....
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by jordan View Post
                      well after over a week of riding it without the indicator working i started to get a small oil leak. i pulled the sprocket cover to find the culprit and somehow my indicator sensor has a piece broken off from the side, this piece also is one of the two mounting locations for the indicator sensor, which is where im leaking oil. i havent pulled it off completely but im guessing i have a cut wire or something. Im locating a replacement sensor on ebay and was wondering which gs models use the same sensor? they all seem to look pretty similiar
                      If that sensor under the sprocket cover is damaged, then wouldn't only the gear indicator and neutral be affected?

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      Aww crap Chef ! I woulda took that.....
                      I took it .

Comment

i have the opposite problem, the lights stay lit even after starting the engine. however im going to check the same things advised here. and see if it goes away.

Comment

Working...
                        X