Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Point ?

Hey all

Installing new points/condensers on 78 750 and didnt take a detailed enough picture before uninstalling left point.

When installing new point, does the white wire and the yellow wire from condenser touch? Or should they be separated by the washer?

Cant tell from my pic...

If anyone knows off hand that would be great!

Thanks,

Steve

It doesn't matter whether they touch or not, just so you have the correct trigger wire (to coil) on the correct set of points

I notice your main plate is skewed to one side. Hopefully it will be more centered when you get the points set
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It is fine for both terminals to be inserted together under the screw.

Comment

Thanks guys, got the points/condensers on and hopefully gapped correctly. Just gotta run and grab a continuity light to test ignition.

Thanks!

Comment

Alright guys, so Im on to the timing part. I think I get the left side good to go by having the light on the white wire and rotating the plate until it shuts off then tightening the plate. But then I move on to the right set with the half plate and It says to connect the light to the black wire. I do so, and move the half plate but I cant get any light at all... Sooo what does this mean? Now what?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

have you rotated the engine to the 2-3 timing mark?
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Yup, and made sure ignition was on and continuity light was grounded...

Comment

all i can suggest is check all connections again, check the gap is correct as well.
                are they suzuki points and condensers or aftermarket? some aftermarket items have been known to be a bit suspect
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Steve, turn the engine over until you are sure the RH set of points are completely closed. The heel of the point set should be off the cam. Turn the ignition ON and then part the points with a small screwdriver and they should spark. If no spark then you will need to trace back to see where the loss of voltage is. Do you have the 2-3 coil connected properly to the wiring harness.

Comment

Alright, So I didnt get spark when separating with the screwdriver, but when I rotated the engine via wrench it would spark. I still got no light from the continuity light.. I was able to take it for a quick ride around the block and it ran, but didnt run well. Idle was smooth but whenever I gave it throttle it bogged a bit... Not nearly as bad as before but it wasnt near as powerful and smooth as it was before.

What am I doing wrong here? Wish I had the $$ for a newer bike!

Thanks

Comment

upgrade to a dyna ignition. cheaper than a new bike
                      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                      X