Starter Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Problem

I have a GS 650L. When I turn the key the headlight and guage lights come on...however, when I pull the clutch lever and press the start button nothing happens. The bike was starting perfect and then it suddenly stopped. I have checked the fuses and all are fine.....I know there are problems with the stator because it does not charge the battery but it has been running/starting fine just by using a battery charger in between riding.

Any help/advice would be helpful...

I assume you still have the glass fuses. When you checked them, did you just look at them or take a test light and verify power at both ends? You might very well have a dead battery as well. What's your multimeter saying for volts when the key is off and when it's on? Have you checked for power all the way to the ignition switch and kill switch?

By the way, put your year and bike info in your signature block.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Could be the clutch switch, Run switch, Fuses. Check that you get 12 volts on the small wire on the solenoid when you push the start button

Comment

Originally posted by new0688 View Post
        I have a GS 650L. When I turn the key the headlight and guage lights come on...however, when I pull the clutch lever and press the start button nothing happens. The bike was starting perfect and then it suddenly stopped. I have checked the fuses and all are fine.....I know there are problems with the stator because it does not charge the battery but it has been running/starting fine just by using a battery charger in between riding.

Any help/advice would be helpful...
        Best advice is to get charging system fixed, rather than relying on battery charger. Your electrical sysytem is starting out at 13 volts and then dropping towards 11 volts . Have you done the tests and are sure it's a stator problem ?-if it isn't, it might be bad connections and you are torturing the electricals.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

You are correct that your charging system problem is a seperate problem from the starter problem (well, unless battery is flat dead).

You can keep going by continouly recharging the battery with a charger. Maybe should disconnect the R/R so if there is a problem with the R/R you are not burning up some wiring (but problably would have by now anyway). ANd one of these days you are going to be stranded because it didnt get charged enough.

But, for now: Your starter problem.
          You say "nothing" happens, so I assume that means not even a click and the head light doesnt dim.
          I would suspect the clutch swtich. Try pulling in the clutch and wiggle it around, if while you are wiggling it it does try to start, then you know that was the problem. Maybe you can loosen the screws and reposition the swtich. Or maybe the swtich can be taken apart and cleaned (I loose parts when I try that). Or maybe repalce the swtich (less than $20), or some folks say to bypass it ( I didnt recomends that).

If that doenst work, I say you will need to trouble shoot the starter button to the solenoid circuit to determione where the problem is. That will require four things:
          1) A voltmeter or test probe lamp,
          2) know/understand how to use it.
          3) know/understand the circuit
          4) know/understand electical troubleshooting skills.

I can tell you about the circuit:
          - Ignition fuse to kill swtich
          - kill swtich to starter button (and to ignition)
          - starter button to clutch swtich
          - clutch swtich to the soleoind
          - and solenoid does not have a ground wire, it is intneded to be grounded by its mounting to the battery box.

And you have three choices
          1) troubleshoot to determine where you are loosing the circuit or if the solenoid has failed
          2) just stsrt replaciong parts withpout knowing if that is really your problem
          3) jumperout things to see if that is your problem. Jumper positive power to the solenoid. Jumper a ground wire to the battery box. JUmper past the clutch swtich. Tell us more what you find.

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Hi,

A few links that may help:

The Stator Papers

GS Charging System Health+Quick Test

More On The Stator Papers

Regulator/Rectifier Replacement

Sorry, I don't have a starter rebuild guide, yet.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

My roommate bought this bike and he originally posted this thread. Followed the stator troubleshooting guide and tested; the bike did not get up to the 60V on the last test. Two of them got to about 55 and one got to maybe 35V. I also never got the OL on my ohm reading on the resistance test. However, strangely enough the next time I tried to start it after I hooked it up it started.

When it is not working (which is most of the time), the lights will dim when you press the button, but that is all. No clicking no nothing.

Am I correct in assuming I need to replace the Stator?

Comment

Sounds like you need to start with a new verified good battery.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

The battery is brand new as of May; just bought it with the bike.

Comment

They can go bad quickly especially if they discharge too much. What is the voltage when disconnected from the bike and with the key on? Verify your stuff is good by testing it.

Trust me from experience troubleshooting my own crap. I KNEW a fuse was good for 8 hours because it LOOKED good to me until I tested it with a power light. Lost a good day at riding because of it.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by new0688 View Post
                      My roommate bought this bike and he originally posted this thread. Followed the stator troubleshooting guide and tested; the bike did not get up to the 60V on the last test. Two of them got to about 55 and one got to maybe 35V. I also never got the OL on my ohm reading on the resistance test. However, strangely enough the next time I tried to start it after I hooked it up it started.

When it is not working (which is most of the time), the lights will dim when you press the button, but that is all. No clicking no nothing.

Am I correct in assuming I need to replace the Stator?
                      Maybe, but remember the bullet connectors are tough to get accurate resistance reading on. They should be about .9 ohm ( less than 1 ohm) between any two- that's disconnected from R/R. Your readings during ac test seem to indicate a weak stator, so you might not get OL reading from resistance. The ac readings at 5k rpm are the best test, but make sure you have good connections from meter to bullets.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you do replace the stator, I strongly suggest checking the R/R. If it is OEM I suggest you replace it also. IMHO it is one of the factors of burned stators; neither of my Kaws had any issues and they are both the same charging system design. There is a list of compatible regulators on the forum; Honda ones are a favorite.
                        Of course, if you have the bucks you can get the Compufire series unit, find a place to mount it and be done with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X