1979 GS 750 electrical diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS 750 electrical diagnosis

Hello everyone I am a newb and need a walkthrough on diagnosing for where my electric current is stopping, using a multimeter. I have a fully charged up batter (12.65 V). I put the key in the ignition and when i turn on nothing is getting power. No lights, no nothing. Please help

Look at your fuses first as positive battery goes to the solenoid and fuse block. Don't just visually check them, use a power light as well. Basscliff will be along later for the official welcome but here's the wiring diagram for now.

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

just got it. Fuses looked good, I kept trying, then i forgot to turn the key OFF and was checking all the wiring and everything popped on. It keeps going in and out but when i jiggle the part where all the fuses are and let it get comfy then there is steady current running throughout the whole bike. Thanks for your input, turns out you were right to check the wiring and fuses.

Comment

remove the fuse box from the bike, turn it over, remove the back cover and check the connections

It's probably got melted connections
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
        X