No spark because of tachometer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No spark because of tachometer?

On my 82 katana 1000, I went out for a ride last week and after about 15 minutes I lost spark on cylinder 2/3 and the tachometer stopped working. After limping it home I have been working on it the past week. The coils are good. It has a dyna 3 ignition, so I swapped it out with a dyna S to find out I still have the problem. I than figured that there was something with the lead wire ( black and yellow) that goes to that coil. With the bike off and a test light hooked to the battery, the probe lit up when I touched that wire. I had this wire disconnected from the coil. So this told me it was grounding out. This would not happen on the white wire that goes to the other coil. So I than checked my wiring diagram and realized that the black and yellow wire that goes to the coil also goes to the tachometer because its electronic.

So basically since the tach is not working, it is grounding out the wire for the coil, causing no spark. Has anyone had a problem like this. I have not taken the tach off yet to see what happened?

Have you followed that black/yellow wire from coil up to tach housing and made sure it's not chafed against frame somewhere?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
      On my 82 katana 1000, I went out for a ride last week and after about 15 minutes I lost spark on cylinder 2/3 and the tachometer stopped working. After limping it home I have been working on it the past week. The coils are good. It has a dyna 3 ignition, so I swapped it out with a dyna S to find out I still have the problem. I than figured that there was something with the lead wire ( black and yellow) that goes to that coil. With the bike off and a test light hooked to the battery, the probe lit up when I touched that wire. I had this wire disconnected from the coil. So this told me it was grounding out. This would not happen on the white wire that goes to the other coil. So I than checked my wiring diagram and realized that the black and yellow wire that goes to the coil also goes to the tachometer because its electronic.

So basically since the tach is not working, it is grounding out the wire for the coil, causing no spark. Has anyone had a problem like this. I have not taken the tach off yet to see what happened?
      Did you disconnect it at the igniter as well? Maybe the igniter is putting the ground out.

Comment

Well I disconnected the tach connector and and still got nothing. The bike has no ignitor anymore because of the dyna ignition. I will try and check for the wire grounding out tomorrow. I just hope its not something damaged or burned out inside the tach itself.

Comment

Working...
        X