Honda R/R sense wire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda R/R sense wire question

I'm replacing the stock R/R on my 450T with a Honda 6-wire unit and followed the great instructions on BassCliff's website. I also soldered in new ground wires and connections and replaced all other charging system bullet connections. My question is what to do with the extra sense wire that is on the Honda unit. Before I fire it up is it critical that this get connected somewhere? If so, from what I've been able to search it sounds like some people have wired it directly to the positive terminal on the battery. Is that correct?

Thank you!

You can connect sense wire to the rear brake switch so it only senses voltage when key is "on"- others have just wired it to battery positive, apparently it draws a insignificant amount of current , but this method might be a problem if your bike sits idle for weeks.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Got it, I understand now. Thank you!

Comment

The sense wire should be connected to a switched positive, not directly to the battery. It's fine to hook it up directly for temporary testing, but over time it will drain your battery when the bike is off.

If you attach the sense wire to a wire with a significant voltage drop, it will over charge. Compare the voltage at the wire you want to use with the voltage at the battery, and make sure they are as close as possible -- ideally under 0.2 volt difference. If there's a large voltage drop, clean all the connectors and switches, and consider using a different circuit.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If you have an accessory fuse box, like the Eastern Beaver PC-8 or my Blue Sea 5028, or have done the coil relay mod, that is the best place to put the sense wire.

Comment

As Brian said the sense wire directly to the "+ive" side of the battery can drain the battery over time. I found with the sense wire connected to the brake light switch the R/R was over charging as there was a voltage drop through the ignition and kill switches.

I have connected mine directly to the battery, and with a battery tender plugged in all the time I am not using the bike it replaces any voltage leak down that occurs.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              If you have an accessory fuse box, like the Eastern Beaver PC-8 or my Blue Sea 5028, or have done the coil relay mod, that is the best place to put the sense wire.
              I agree...
              On the Relay part.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                I agree...
                On the Relay part.
                Thanks. All of the mods I mentioned use a relay as a starting point. One of the purposes of the relay mod is to provide full charging voltage to something, whether it is just the horns, the coils, or a distribution box (such as a fuse block). So the voltage will be the full charging voltage, which is what the sense wire needs to know.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Thanks. All of the mods I mentioned use a relay as a starting point. One of the purposes of the relay mod is to provide full charging voltage to something, whether it is just the horns, the coils, or a distribution box (such as a fuse block). So the voltage will be the full charging voltage, which is what the sense wire needs to know.
                  I hooked my sense wire into the brake switch wire and it was overcharging since there was a loss on that wire.
                  Jim (Posplayr) suggested I run it to the ouput of my coil/ignition relay.
                  Works great!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X