No announcement yet.

No spark...coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright guys i got the air box on and its sucking air, when i shoot starter fluid into the airbox it will start for a second then die. So basically if i keep shooting fluid into the carb area itll idle, not very well. Im stumped. I checked the carbs again today and they look fine. Floats are at height, needle springs are recoiling. seems like its not getting enough gas.

Comment

Originally posted by mindtrip View Post
      Alright guys i got the air box on and its sucking air, when i shoot starter fluid into the airbox it will start for a second then die. So basically if i keep shooting fluid into the carb area itll idle, not very well. Im stumped. I checked the carbs again today and they look fine. Floats are at height, needle springs are recoiling. seems like its not getting enough gas.
      Wait a minute, yesterday it's leaking gas and today you think it's not "getting enough gas" ? You're not allowed to get stumped this quickly! Many folks have had to clean their carbs multiple times before success rears its ugly head. Please review info at Basscliff's- he's gone to a lot of trouble to eliminate frustration in bringing these neglected things back to life, so take advantage. Reread what koolaid_ kid said also. But most importantly, lose the starting fluid ASAP- it already told you that the fuel system ain't right. It takes patience, not force, to get this bike running right.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Was just tinkering with it. It seems that i turned the pet to prime, and started it. then i switched it to on, it ran and idled with no starter fluid at all. i couldnt get the throttle to rev very high, right around 3grand and more it would bog down. then, it stalled out and it wont start again, im thinking junk in the gas or junk in the tank getting clogged in the carb?

Comment

Clean the carbs properly!!!!!!!!!!
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I am stunned that you are trying to go forward with what is obviously an incorrectly rebuilt set of carbs. They make fire extinguishers for fuel and electrical, please have one handy at all times. (I do, it is a Kidde 21006287 and I recommend it.)
            Please do us all a favor and start over. Do not assume what you did turned out correctly the first time; it seldom does.
            Best of luck.

Comment

Incorrect as in i haven't bought any rebuild kit??? I don't need to. the bike runs. It starts and idles every crank over. i just cant get past 3 grand on the tach. bogs down, sounds like an intake issues or air leak.

Remember, this bike was FREE. im not planning on putting tons of cash into it.

BTW koolaid, i have an extinguisher...

CLICK IMG
              Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2011, 11:29 AM.

Comment

So if you paid $2000 for it you'd be willing to put money into it?

Sorry but these old bikes need work to get them running and that means putting money into it. I would think that because you got it for free that would mean you'd have the money to put into it since you didn't pay the $2000 for a new one.

Clean the carbs properly as I'm willing to bet the jets are clogged; you'll probably put $60 into that part by ordering new orings and the Berryman's dip. Change the orings in your intake boots and if necessary those too ($140). Make sure you have a good air filter ($10) and that the box is properly sealed. Adjust the valves (~$40 for the gasket, tool, and shims depending on how you do it), synch the carburetors (~$100 for the tool if you don't have it), and go from there.

Once the proper maintenance is done then start worrying about the other stuff.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Any suggestion on a rebuild kit for the carbs?
                  Im just trying not to put A LOT of money into this as i have NO money.
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

That's good to hear, mindtrip. I keep mine close every time I work on a machine. Your bike needs a carb rebuild, which is one of the reasons it won't go past 3k. Cowboy has his info spot on. If you can find someone close by with some of those things (the dip, the tools) you can save some bucks. Another reason to rebuild is the fact that those orings are over a quarter of a century old. They have deteriorated and are hard as a rock. We all want you to succeed, but you cannot take shortcuts. We have all walked down that path and are only trying to help, not harrass.

Comment

Get the orings from www.cycleorings.com as Robert Barr is a member here. Get the Berryman's from Autozone or Oreillys (you'll want the gallon can that has the dip bucket). Don't get the rebuild kits from the parts houses as the parts included in them aren't that great of a quality.

Read the carb rebuild tutorial on Basscliff's site and give it a day per carb to soak.

Also, put your location in your profile so if one of us is close we can maybe come by to help.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

The nice thing is that you do not need a rebuild kit. You need an o-ring kit from cycleorings.com, ~$15 shipped. If your bike has intake o-rings, he sells those also. My bike does not so I am not sure on the price, but they aren't much. You will also want a set of fuel bowl gaskets, I got mine from Z1Enterprises. Not sure on the cost, but it seems like they were ~$20. That is all you need to rebuild the carbs.

Comment

Dang, you're quick cowboy.

Comment

Sorry Kid

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by mindtrip View Post

Remember, this bike was FREE. im not planning on putting tons of cash into it.
                              Yeah, you keep reminding us! Either you want to get it running right, or sell it to someone who is willing to try. Or you can always spend 5 hours stripping it and enjoy ebay. What's the mileage and are you in Mass?
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

its got a little over 15 grand for mileage. i do live in central mass

Comment

Working...
                                X