No announcement yet.

No spark...coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just ordered an oring kit stainless hardware for the carbs and vitron orings.

super cheap deals!

Comment

Originally posted by mindtrip View Post
      just ordered an oring kit stainless hardware for the carbs and vitron orings.

super cheap deals!
      Yeah, no sense reusing old screws after carb dismantle and THOROUGH clean; but be sure to save all the parts you remove from carbs in ziplock baggie- this bike might miss them later. Do you work in the furniture making business?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah I am pretty well versed in the carb dismantle process, its always good to work on each carb individually. baggies are awesome for keeping all that stuff organized.

I am not in the furniture business. why do you ask?

Comment

Yeah I am pretty well versed in the carb dismantle process, its always good to work on each carb individually. baggies are awesome for keeping all that stuff organized.

I am not in the furniture business. why do you ask?
          Shot in the dark regarding furniture. Anyways, I'll persevere..... When you removed carbs, did you just slip them out of their 30 year old boots, or went further and removed boots from cylinder head?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ive yet to remove the boots, but i bought the o ring kit JIC. Ill remove them and replace them anyway.

Comment

Just put the new o rings in, installed the carbs. Now im getting over 4 grand but when I go to wot its bogging. Did a bench sync on the carbs before putting them back on.

Comment

Were the new orings on the carb parts? Did you ever finally dip the carbs and clean the jets?
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What color are the plugs? A pic would also be helpful.

Comment

Dipped the carbs, cleaned the jets. Put the new o rings in. Getting backfire once and a while. Ill get the color of the plugs tonight.

Comment

Replaced the plugs. Still not getting over 5k. I am completely stumped. Replaced all the o rings and intake rings. Bike starts and idles, and trails off and dies. If I open the throttle its hesitant to rev but when it does it only gets up near 5k.

Comment

Replaced the plugs. Still not getting over 5k. I am completely stumped. Replaced all the o rings and intake rings. Bike starts and idles, and trails off and dies. If I open the throttle its hesitant to rev but when it does it only gets up near 5k.
                        Lucky me , I just reread this whole thread while sipping a beer! Time to check your ignition advance and make sure its not frozen after all this time. Remove signal generator cover, reach in and check that rotor moves freely and returns. If timing was stuck on 10 degrees advance, engine would not be happy over 3000.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

just checked that out.

you're talking about the little tab on the post that turns down and pushes those plates out right? seems to return just fine..if thats what youre talking about.

Comment

just checked that out.

you're talking about the little tab on the post that turns down and pushes those plates out right? seems to return just fine..if thats what youre talking about.
                            Yes, so it's advancing Ok.This bike is very stubborn! When you dismantled and cleaned carbs, how did the diaphragms look? As throttle plates open, the carb pistons need to get pulled up by the diaphragms' vacuum.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

The diaphragms looked good. When I push on the slide up it makes a suction sound and returns back down nice and smoothly.

Comment

The diaphragms looked good. When I push on the slide up it makes a suction sound and returns back down nice and smoothly.
                                Good. I know you have airbox on ,but do you have an air filter element in?
                                1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                                X