Accel coil help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accel coil help?

I picked up a pair of 140403 Accel coils a while back for my 1150. Not sure what they came off of, since they have bullet connectors for the electrical connections, but I believe these are a model that should work.

This certainly isn't my strong suit, so please be patient with me.

They are currently fitted with some Accel wires - 8.8mm, RFI suppression, "silicone plus * GRAPHITE"

I've set my multimeter to 200K on the ohms scale, and measuring between the two plug caps.

On one I get a reading of 23.1 and on the second coil I'm getting 45.2.

That's bad, right?

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
    I picked up a pair of 140403 Accel coils a while back for my 1150. Not sure what they came off of, since they have bullet connectors for the electrical connections, but I believe these are a model that should work.

This certainly isn't my strong suit, so please be patient with me.

They are currently fitted with some Accel wires - 8.8mm, RFI suppression, "silicone plus * GRAPHITE"

I've set my multimeter to 200K on the ohms scale, and measuring between the two plug caps.

On one I get a reading of 23.1 and on the second coil I'm getting 45.2.

That's bad, right?
    Can you remove plug caps and measure between plug wires? Also what resistance do you get on primary side ( between bullet connectors) 4 ohms or something else?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Removing the plug caps doesn't look like it was supposed to be done.

Two twisted off, and two came off leaving the metal sheath on the wire, which I had to pry off. That left about an inch of the inner wire sticking out from the insulation. Checking the resistance across those, I'm getting 23.5 on one coil and 42.5 on the other.

I can't get a good reading on the primary resistance. Usually the multimeter reads nothing at all, but if I scratch the leads back and forth, sometimes it'll flash numbers for a tenth of a second, anything from 2 to 100.

Comment

So these plug caps have no resistor in them- you're right, they weren't designed to be taken apart- me bad! But with your multimeter on 200 ohm scale, you should be able to read the primary resistance- scrape corrosion off bullets.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Can't answer for the plug caps, but the wires themselves should be removable, right? I'd measure the secondary without the wires. Then measure each wire individually.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            So these plug caps have no resistor in them- you're right, they weren't designed to be taken apart- me bad! But with your multimeter on 200 ohm scale, you should be able to read the primary resistance- scrape corrosion off bullets.
            I just took a reading directly off the posts the primary wires were attached to, and got 3.2 from both coils.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
              Can't answer for the plug caps, but the wires themselves should be removable, right? I'd measure the secondary without the wires. Then measure each wire individually.
              With the multimeter set to 200k ohms, I get a secondary reading of 12.2 off one coil and 22.4 off the other when removing the wires.

Comment

With the multimeter set to 200k ohms, I get a secondary reading of 12.2 off one coil and 22.4 off the other when removing the wires.
                Strange! I would expect them to be within 10% of each other, especially since primary reading was the same- do they say made in China on them?
                1981 gs650L

Comment

Strange! I would expect them to be within 10% of each other, especially since primary reading was the same- do they say made in China on them?
                  They do not.

Comment

They do not.
                    They must be off two different ignition systems.Are your existing coils bad?
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Not that I know of. I took some coils off a Bandit and fitted them with new wires and caps, but I figured this might be a bit of an upgrade.

Weird that they'd be so different, given they're both the same model#.

Comment

Okay, turns out my Amprobe multimeter is garbage. Pat (GravityTester) came over and we checked them out with his pro-model.

#1 showed a primary resistance of 3.3 ohms, and a secondary of 12.3k without the wires attached. #2 was at 3.3 ohms on the primary and 33k on the secondary.

What gives?

Comment

Okay, turns out my Amprobe multimeter is garbage. Pat (GravityTester) came over and we checked them out with his pro-model.

#1 showed a primary resistance of 3.3 ohms, and a secondary of 12.3k without the wires attached. #2 was at 3.3 ohms on the primary and 33k on the secondary.

What gives?
                          Two different meters say the coils are far apart on secondary resistance, so identical model # makes no sense- has to be marking error, or lower ohm coil (the 12.3k ) is internally damaged giving a lower reading.
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

Two different meters say the coils are far apart on secondary resistance, so identical model # makes no sense- has to be marking error, or lower ohm coil (the 12.3k ) is internally damaged giving a lower reading.
                            Damn. What a shame.

Comment

Working...
                            X