Am I worrying needlessly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I worrying needlessly?

So being back on 2 wheels after the almost year long hiatus, I've been attending to issues that had previously cropped up. One of which was a serious overcharging in the 15+v range on the stock R/R.

When I first got the 750 about 5 seasons back it had not been charging at all but after replacing the connector to the R/R with spades and running the extra ground lead to the battery - post I got good "in spec" charging. That was all fine until about June of last year when it started spiking. by the time I was off the bike in July it had shot to that steady 15+.

I decided to replace the R/R and last night , after referring to Mr. Matchless' great list, picked up an SH 538. After wiring it in I ran a quick test in the garage and it seemed fine. Today, I was putting on a new airfilter in preparation for playing "hooky" after lunch ( last nice day before a soggy weekend the weather dude says) I decided to measure some of the voltages.

It charges fine at 14.5v. Its rock steady at that voltage but it puts out that voltage at all engine revs from idle/up. If I flip on my halogen auxiliary lights she drops to12.5 or so but once they are off it shoots back to the 14.5v. I haven't yet road tested.

Looking at the Stator Papers flow chart I read things as being acceptable and within spec but I'm surprised to see it stay in the charging zone off idle all the way up.

This R/R has two power out leads and two grounds. I wired the two powers together and plugged in to the stock harness. One ground goes to the harness ground with the other directly to the battery negative post. The sense wire I fixed to the battery positive post.

I've read over a lot of the R/R discussions over the last few days and am starting to get confused with the huge amount of info that the Gurus have put up. I think I'm ok but I don't want to be continually fearful of my charging system.

Am I getting paranoid in my dottage?

As always, all input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2011, 11:52 AM.

Sounds good to me! If I were you now I'd go enjoy a spin on it!

Comment

Since you are obsessing, how about some testing? Connect the two ground wires from the R/R together with jumper wire and see if it changes anything.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Had it out for 3 hours today and under load, it drops down into the mid to high 13s. Into the 3000+ rpm it goes up to the 14+ range but never above so I'm thinking its good.

Im not going to obsess on it and I'm now calling it fixed.

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers,
        spyug

Comment

Originally posted by spyug View Post
          Had it out for 3 hours today and under load, it drops down into the mid to high 13s. Into the 3000+ rpm it goes up to the 14+ range but never above so I'm thinking its good.

Im not going to obsess on it and I'm now calling it fixed.

Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers,
          spyug
          For reference, my bike (replaced stator, but original R/R ) holds pretty steady at 13.7 volts until I drop below 1500 rpm where it reads 13 volts; also uneffected by turning headlight off/on. I think you're in good shape.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X