Anyone ever use Posi-Lock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever use Posi-Lock?

I ran a search and never saw a thread about these, so I thought I would ask. I stumbled upon this on the internet and wonder if anyone has ever tried them? I'm always onthe search for "easier", and saw these. Seems like it would work, but.....

They work very well and easy to use.
    Very expensive.
    Put them on a Birthday, Daddy's Day or Christmas wish list.

Daniel

Comment

Wow, I just did a quick search on these. Wow they are expensive....anywhere from $2.00-$3.00 per connector. I think you are right, these might make a good gift request. I suck at the whole crimping thing, and this would make life a lot easier, however there is a very frugal side to me.

Comment

Looks to me like an opportunity for corrosion. Shoot some dielectric grease in there before assembly.

For my tastes, those might be good to carry for emergency repairs, but they don't seem all that permanent to me. I do see that they're getting some OEM application. The applications cited in the review sound like after market parts though, where ease of installation might trump reliability.

Too bad the review was written by an admitted electrical ignoramus instead of a pro. Steve, have you ever used these things?
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by toejams1 View Post
          Wow, I just did a quick search on these. Wow they are expensive....anywhere from $2.00-$3.00 per connector. I think you are right, these might make a good gift request. I suck at the whole crimping thing, and this would make life a lot easier, however there is a very frugal side to me.
          If you truly are frugal...get yourself a cheap radio shack soldering iron and a roll of solder...
          Soldered wires and heat shrink is the only way to go...and it's not that hard to learn...
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I learned how to solder.
            There are tons of YouTube vids on it.

It is fabulous and avoids the veils of connector corrosion.
            Good for the reg rect I hear.

Comment

Do you have proper crimping tools? The all in one crimper/stripper/bolt cutter doesn't crimp worth a darn. Try getting a pair of designated crimping pliers. Right tool for the job makes all the difference.

I crimp, solder, and then heatshrink, but that's just me

Comment

Yep,

I need to learn to properly solder. I guess I will get practice this weekend, as there are a few conections I want to properly repair on my bike this weekend. I still thought the product mentioned was interesting. You may be right Dogma, that having a couple with you on the bike for emergency repairs might be the best plan.

Comment

I carry a few the Radio Shack Posilock imitations for road repairs. For all "permanent" connections I use a crimper, grease, spade terminals, and heat shrink. I am not a real big fan of Harbor Freight but they have a pretty nice crimper that I have been using for a few months now with good results. Hard to beat this price IMHO.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                  81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                  83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                  06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                  AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

I've found needle-nose type vise grips work really well for crimping. Went thru every single connector & swapped some with bullet & some with spade. Worked great!

Comment

They may seem to crimp well, but compared to a proper crimping tool, they do a very poor job. A proper crimp is better than a solder joint.
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                      X