New starter problem (gears?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New starter problem (gears?)

I had problems with starter only turning engine over every 5th time.
    I removed the starter to rebuild and replace brushes. Bench tested and it ran great. I installed in bike and it turned over a bunch of times seemed fine. then it stopped turning over.
    I can hear the starter turning but only on release.
    I removed stator cover to discover that the starter gear was not re-engaging with with starter motor gear. i wiggle it in, and it turns the motor over. but the gear will not return to original position on its own.
    The gears look clean. No marring.
    Was there a spring that put this gear back that I am missing? All I have is a double gear and 2 thrust washers riding on a metal rod. the cover has a relief for the floating rod.
    Any suggestions would be helpful!
    Thank you!
    Brian

The starter motor spins an intermediate gear (the double one) which then spins the large gear on flywheel rotor which then engages a starter clutch which locks up and actually spins crank. (go to Alpha-Sports.com, look for parts diagrams- starter clutch). The clutch has 3 rollers in it that get wedged in a ramp to lock up and then release when engine fires. Put your bike model/year in your signature.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks!

Brian Donovan
      1979 Suzuki GS550E

Comment

Everything is there..

Everything is there and where it should be.
        The starter moves the engine "slightly", maybe 2 degrees then stops.
        When I release the starter switch the motor goes back the 2 deg it moved.
        I can turn the motor freely by hand. And when I do turn the motor one revolution the starter will spin it around a few times and stop.
        I am doing all of this with no plugs in so there is no pressure.
        Starter clutch? I have no idea how this works.
        Any ideas on this would be great.

Brian
        1979 Suzuki GS550E

Comment

Can you turn the engine itself?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

quote "Everything is there and where it should be"

Apparently not! any chance you got starter motor turning clockwise with your rebuild? Best to pull it to check- should spin counter clockwise looking at drive end.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That's it!

It has to be it. That's the kind of answer I was looking for!
              I will check in am.....makes sense, don't know if or how I did it yet but it makes sense.

Thank you,
              Brian
              1979 Suzuki GS550E

Comment

Subscribed. I'm having a similar issue and eagerly await replies.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  quote "Everything is there and where it should be"

Apparently not! any chance you got starter motor turning clockwise with your rebuild? Best to pull it to check- should spin counter clockwise looking at drive end.

How would this happen?

Comment

Not sure how you could reverse polarity. Jim said he hooked a starter up to jumper cables backwards and it still spun the same direction.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Not sure how you could reverse polarity. Jim said he hooked a starter up to jumper cables backwards and it still spun the same direction.
                      DC motors with brushes will reverse rotation if you reverse polarity- this is how your portable drill works along with countless other devices. Since I have yet to take one of these starter motors apart, I'm unsure of how a rebuilding error would cause this, but basically the brush is biased on the commutator to cause the magnetic field to pull the rotor in the desired direction. P.S. I checked my spare starter and it goes both ways!
                      1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                        DC motors with brushes will reverse rotation if you reverse polarity- this is how your portable drill works along with countless other devices. Since I have yet to take one of these starter motors apart, I'm unsure of how a rebuilding error would cause this, but basically the brush is biased on the commutator to cause the magnetic field to pull the rotor in the desired direction. P.S. I checked my spare starter and it goes both ways!
                        Maybe he was high or something. JK!
                        I didn't do the test myself.

Comment

Working...
                        X