Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rectifier diode test...did mine Fail?

Bike: 82 650g

Stock R/R - 5 wire setup, including Ground wire.
    (NipponDenso)
    --------

Followed the Diode Test Chart, but it seems strange?

(Lead) to Yellow wire, and (Black) to Red wire = .463

(Lead) to white/red wire, and (Black) to red wire = .475

And that's IT! I can't get any more readings, as much as I flip flop threw the Diode Test chart.

Everything else keeps reading .OL

Is this bad?
    Maybe I did something wrong?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2011, 02:18 PM.

(Lead) to Yellow wire, and (Black) to Red wire = .463

(Lead) to white/red wire, and (Black) to red wire = .475
    Are these the ONLY reading lines you get?
    The white/blue and red should read the same, if not then you have a failed diode on that R/R leg.

You should also get the same readings going from the ground (green in most cases) with the red lead to each of the three hot leads with the black lead.

Again, if no readings or too low or too high then you have a failure.

I usually test each set three times to get a 'positive' result.

Comment

Yep, these are the ONLY readings I'm getting!

I was playing with this damn thing for over an hour, trying to get readings out of it....the connections on It are perfectly clean too.

I just installed a brand new Stator, new battery, cleaned connections.....and No Charge.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Hi,

I recently performed a diode test on a good spare 6 wire Honda Shindengen r/r unit. These are my results.

Here's what I get on my diode setting:

1) Starting with the (+) lead on the sense wire -

All (-) connections to red output, green ground, and yellow inputs read "+OL".

2) Reversing the leads, putting the (-) lead on the sense wire -

The (+) connection reads:
        Red output = +OL
        Green ground = ~ 1.5v
        All yellow inputs = +OL

3) With the (-) lead on the red output -

All yellow inputs ~0.54v
        Green ground ~0.99v
        Black sense +OL

4) Reversing the above reads +OL on all combinations.

5) Probing between all of the yellow inputs in any combination reads +OL.

I think that's about all the possible combinations.

Note that the step 3) "all yellow" inputs are the same as the yellow, blue/white, green/white (or red/white) wires coming from the stator.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The stock Nippondenso can be checked just like Basscliff tested his Shindengen unit ( neglecting the sense wire ). I got a spare R/R in a 650 parts lot that failed the diode test. Get a Shindengen off ebay and your replaced stator will be alot happier- no sense torturing it.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

I recently performed a diode test on a good spare 6 wire Honda Shindengen r/r unit. These are my results.

Here's what I get on my diode setting:

1) Starting with the (+) lead on the sense wire -

All (-) connections to red output, green ground, and yellow inputs read "+OL".

2) Reversing the leads, putting the (-) lead on the sense wire -

Red output = +OL
            Green ground = ~ 1.5v
            All yellow inputs = +OL

3) With the (-) lead on the red output -

All yellow inputs ~0.54v
            Green ground ~0.99v
            Black sense +OL

4) Reversing the above reads +OL on all combinations.

5) Probing between all of the yellow inputs in any combination reads +OL.

I think that's about all the possible combinations.

Note that the step 3) "all yellow" inputs are the same as the yellow, blue/white, green/white (or red/white) wires coming from the stator.

BassCliff

Don't bother with any connections to the sense lead on a honda R/R, its irrelevant for diode tests.

All you should check are the ones I made red and a set that you didn't check:

+ lead on green ground wire and - lead on the yellow wires should read ~.54, OL when connections are reversed.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
              Don't bother with any connections to the sense lead on a honda R/R, its irrelevant for diode tests.

All you should check are the ones I made red and a set that you didn't check:

+ lead on green ground wire and - lead on the yellow wires should read ~.54, OL when connections are reversed.
              Very cool Mr. bakalorz. I think I'm going to add this information to the electrical section of my website. This question comes up quite often. I appreciate your insight and expertise.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

Very cool Mr. bakalorz. I think I'm going to add this information to the electrical section of my website. This question comes up quite often. I appreciate your insight and expertise.

BassCliff

For more general info, I probably shouldn't have written it as .54 ... the actual value doesn't matter, it could be anything between maybe .40 and 1.00 on the outside (most likely .5 to .7 ... but any values other than OL is ok)

The values should all be similar though ... a bunch of .54s and then one .70 would be suspicious, as would the other way around, although either number would be ok if consistent across all the diodes ....
                Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2011, 09:28 PM. Reason: added comma

Comment

Working...
                X