one bad coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one bad coil

My mate has an 82 gs 400 that will only spark on one coil. We replaced it with a known good coil & still no spark. We changed the yellow/red orange wires right to left & changed the spark from right to left. Could it be a bad ignitor or some other issue?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

I think my question is this. Can the ignitor only be powering one coil & therefore be faulty?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
      I think my question is this. Can the ignitor only be powering one coil & therefore be faulty?
      Sure, but maybe the wiring between the signal coils and the ignitor is faulty and there's no trigger signal on that coil side.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I followed all the wiring carefully & it seems intact, that's why I suspect the ignitor. What I don't know is whether they can go half bad, meaning only firing one coil. When the ignitor fails are both coils dead?

Comment

Yes you can loose just one cylinder. I would take the igniter apart and see if it is repairable ?? some are sealed so that eliminates that option.. MAKE sure to check the charging circuit as it will contribute to igniter failure. There has been a rash of twin igniters going bad over the last few years ..

Comment

Working...
          X