Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start button not working after taking throttle apart while changing grips

Sorry for the long windedness...

'm flipping out here. I'm leaving on a long road trip in a couple days, and spent today in the garage tidying up the bike a little.

I've been having an issue with my throttle excessively vibrating, and while trying to pinpoint the source of the vibration, I disassembled the throttle assembly. After pinpointing the source of the vibration, I lost one of the two screws that holds the throttle/start assembly together and grabbed a slightly longer replacement screw from my stash.

When i tried to start the bike, there was no response from the start button, nothing. After taking a closer look, it seems that the longer screw may have done some damage, it ended up penetrating too far and partially severing one of the wires inside that leads to the on/off switch

I don't know much about electronics, so i did what i could, and cut out the damaged part of the wire and crimped it back together, but to no avail. The bike is still unresponsive.

How do I find out whats wrong here? I have a multi-meter but, I've never used it.

Also, I've read on the forum that there's a way to use a screw driver to bypass the start button; how exactly do i do that?

Check your fuses?

Comment

Thanks, I haven't checked them yet. I hope it's that simple. My bike is about a mile away from my computer in my garage space...

Comment

Jumping is easy follow the big + (red) from the battery to the solenoid next to the fuse box
        ( at least that’s where it is on my 850 )
        Then short between the 2 big terminals with a screwdriver
        I have never f**ked anything up doing it
        but I’m sure it is possible to do damage
        so only do it if you absolutely have to

Comment

It was the fuse! thanks a bunch.

noob out.

Comment

If the fuse blew I would bet you still have a problem someplace. Go back and check your wiring.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

What should i be looking for? Like I said, I'm a novice at electrical work. I'd like to be sure it's taken care of before I leave.

Comment

Yep... mine did that. Trapped wire in the control halves means a blown fuse & no start

If you've got rid of the point where it was misrouted (trapped) or somehow other sent to earth (by contact with the screw for example) then you'll have no more problems.... Usually it will either blow the fuse as soon as you hit the starter or you're good to go! Make sure there are no bare wires in there....
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X