Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well im not getting spark. It is leaking gas from near the kickstarter

Comment

im going to post a few pictures and explain what they all are. hopefully this helps

Comment

its leaking gas/oil when i kick the kickstart

almost all of the wires on the bike run to this silver (relay?) and it is plugged in the positive on the battery

the black box on the left says ignition, turn signals, horn, and something else. it is tapped in to the silver box from the previous picture. it also contains the wires that go to the spark plugs

from the battery i have a big ground that goes to the bike it self. there is a black box with a black and white wire coming out i have also grounded. the silver box on the bottom right side of the screen says 12V on it. it has a yellow wire that is tapped in to the silver box from the other picture, and a black and white wire im assuming is a ground.

Comment

The gas coming from the airbox is from overflowing float bowls or from a bad petcock. Look for signs of gas in the vacuum line from the petcock running to your cylinder #3 carburetor; if it's letting gas through there your petcock should be replaced. Make sure you're not leaving the petcock set to prime.

The black box with the labels (ignition, main, etc.) is your main fuse box. The silver cylinder is the starter solenoid. The main battery (+) lead runs to it, which is correct. It has no over current protection, so having it hanging out in the air like that where a ground could easily touch it is kinda scary. There are usually boots over the large post terminals to protect from that.

The starter draws (by far) the most current of any device on your bike - albeit very temporarily. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there's a black wire on that same incoming terminal on the solenoid which is taped to a red lead which goes to your main fuse? I'd make sure that connection is secure. Plus there's a red loop from which a wire has been cut on that same terminal? I'd remove that (disconnect the battery first before you go playing around with the solenoid). The other side of the main fuse goes up to your ignition switch, and also to the R/R output red wire. Back out of the ignition switch is the line/lines for your other three fuses, which then head back up to power your bike. Open the fuse box and check for battery (+) voltage at both sides of all fuses (the main fuse should always have +12V on both sides, the other three only when the ignition switch is on). Also check the leads running in to your coils under the tank (orange or red) for ~+12V with the key/ignition on.

I'm going to assume you still have points under the ignition cover?
          Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

It's hard to figure out things from photos... I'm just itching to stick a meter in there.

I'd be happy to come take a look -- there are several GS-ers around Indy.

PM me or email brian@bwringer.com and we'll set up a time. I live on the NW side of town, near 79th & Georgetown, and I work in Broad Ripple.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

A superstar offer from one of our super-stars!

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              It's hard to figure out things from photos... I'm just itching to stick a meter in there.

I'd be happy to come take a look -- there are several GS-ers around Indy.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                A superstar offer from one of our super-stars!
                I sent him a pm. I can't thank you fellas enough. Once its up and running, beers are on me!

Comment

as it sits

Comment

Here's the thread about bolt sizes I was talking about last night, Matt.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

welp, decided to continue on the gs insteaed of buying a new bike. ive ordered a new petcock and im wondering whats my next step to getting it started? anyone have any ideas?

Comment

What's left wrong with it?

IIRC, Brian helped you get the electronics straightened out, right? Yours was dropping gas out of the airbox and caught on fire?

OK, have you:

cleaned carbs
                        replaced intake boot o-rings
                        sealed airbox
                        checked/adjusted valves

???

Comment

What's left wrong with it?

IIRC, Brian helped you get the electronics straightened out, right? Yours was dropping gas out of the airbox and caught on fire?

OK, have you:

cleaned carbs
                          replaced intake boot o-rings
                          sealed airbox
                          checked/adjusted valves

???
                          Carbs clean, o rings next on the order list, airbox is missing a piece. Adjusted valves?

Comment

Originally posted by ms5490renegade View Post
                            Adjusted valves?
                            One of the more important maintenance tasks. The valves wear tight over time and can cause hard starting and lost compression. If they start to hang open too long, the exhaust valves can burn up. See these guides from BassCliff's BikeCliff site:

and the zip-tie supplement (in lieu of the shim tool specific to our GSes):

Comment

One of the more important maintenance tasks. The valves wear tight over time and can cause hard starting and lost compression. If they start to hang open too long, the exhaust valves can burn up. See these guides from BassCliff's BikeCliff site:

and the zip-tie supplement (in lieu of the shim tool specific to our GSes):

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ol_zip_tie.pdf
                              Took it to a mechanic and they had it firing in 5 minutes. It has compression and spark. They said it will be running tomorrow

Comment

It's alive!!! The brake is fixed, the rest of the wiring is completed. I'll be able to take her home tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                                X